[Online migration] Route traffic in different subnets for VMs

Con

Jul 11, 2012
Hello,

I want to route IP traffic in a proxmox cluster, that is distributed over different subnets.

We have set up a proxmox cluster in different subnets to do some online migration experiments. The original setup of our proxmox cluster was one main node with one slave:
x.y.z.1
x.y.z.2
using the same gateway and one bridge interface vmbr0 for the VMs. The cluster is publicly available over the above IP addresses and so are some of the VMs using a MAC-IP mapping in the range x.y.z.3-10.

Now I've added another node from a different subnet to the original proxmox cluster, which is used to migrate to and from:
x.y.a.1 using another gateway.

Migrating a VM in the original cluster is no problem. But, migrating a VM to the new cluster leads to - as expected - a loss of the internet connection for the VM as the IP address is not longer available in the new subnet as is the bridge network interface vmbr0.

Problem: How can I keep the old IP address (x.y.z.3-10) for a VM after a migration in the new subnet? Is it possible to route the traffic over the master node respectively the old slave?

Thanks in advance! And keep up the good work for proxmox.

Con

Edit: Forgot to mention, that I'm using KVM.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!