Offline migration with sparse copy

oliwel

Feb 11, 2018
Good Morning, I am screwed and need some help :cool:

I have two nodes attached to a shared storage (SAN using LVM) and I need to shutdown the storage system for maintenance. There is a third node in the cluster with local disks and the idea was to move some important services to this one to keep the downtime as small as possible. Most of them are containers but there are also some VMs and I am looking for an efficient and "fast" solution to move the services with minimal downtime.

For the containers my idea was to create matching LVM disks on the target storage, use "pct mount" to mount them into the host and use rsync to transfer the files. Would it work to use the same container id and move the configuration from one node to the other "by hand" (move in filesystem) or is the better id to clone the configuration to a new id?

Is there any option to do similar with a VM?

TIA

Oliver

you can use "targetstorage" when migrating to move the disks to a different storage..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!