Offline installation of proxmox

selund

Renowned Member
May 18, 2010
I'm working in a environment where we don't have internett access, and I noticed that process of setting up pve-manager takes a long time, so I went digging in the logs. It seems that the proces tries to download from download.proxmox.com and releases.turnkeylinux.org
I suspect that this is a task to update the list of available lxc images, and we don't use lxc, so I don't think this is a problem. My two questions here are, are my asumptions correct, and is there a way to prevent this download from happening?
The installation is done using a stock debian install, and adding proxmox after. The reason for this is that it makes it easier for us to automate installations.

Hello,

you can just disable the pve-daily-update timer with:

Bash:
systemctl disable pve-daily-update.timer

I'm working in a environment where we don't have internett access, and I noticed that process of setting up pve-manager takes a long time, so I went digging in the logs. It seems that the proces tries to download from download.proxmox.com and releases.turnkeylinux.org
You probably DISCARD network packages in your firewall instead of REJECT and therefore you ran into timeouts. Normally if the machine is not reachable and gets an icmp destination unreachable, it just skips the entry.

The company i work for currently have hosts scattered in tens (probably in the hundreds by end of this year) of networks where we don't control how the firewalls are configured, so yes some of them probably just drops the packages. My problem isn't that this happens, but my worry is that Proxmox becomes more reliant on other access methods to the internet than to a apt repository. A apt repository I can manage with a application aware proxy like nexus, but more generic access becomes more of a problem. Not on a technical level, but on a legal and regulatory level.
@MarkusF Thanks for the tip about pve-daily-update I wasn't aware of that process. And thanks for a really really great product. Wish I could do more to support the great work you guys do.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!