NTP and proxmox

Guy

Renowned Member
Jan 15, 2009
m0guy.com
Hi,

Given how important time is these days. Can I suggest that proxmox would act as an NTP server, it's already half doing that for it's images.

I did want to run NTPD in a Centos 5.2 image but there are issues doing this, making sure you get correct time, and also being able to update it's own clock.

--Guy

Given how important time is these days. Can I suggest that proxmox would act as an NTP server, it's already half doing that for it's images.

ntp is already installed, so you should have exact time.

I did want to run NTPD in a Centos 5.2 image but there are issues doing this, making sure you get correct time, and also being able to update it's own clock.

OpenVZ VMs are using the system clock, so it is enough if the host has correct time.

- Dietmar

yeah I see that NTP is installed.. it's just a I can't query it over the network. I need to make sure all my systems both virtual and other are all getting the same time.

--Guy

Syncronize

I have proxmox with OpenVZ

Hi, in the proxmox i have the NTP Server running, but the time in the Proxmox is very diferent on the VMs.

I'll try to install a ntp-server on a VM, but it can adjust the time
# ntpdate -u 2.pool.ntp.org
16 Apr 18:36:39 ntpdate[4995]: Can't adjust the time of day: Operation not permitted

Any idea to make all VM has the same time ?

Best Regards

I have proxmox with OpenVZ

Hi, in the proxmox i have the NTP Server running, but the time in the Proxmox is very diferent on the VMs.

I'll try to install a ntp-server on a VM, but it can adjust the time
# ntpdate -u 2.pool.ntp.org
16 Apr 18:36:39 ntpdate[4995]: Can't adjust the time of day: Operation not permitted

Any idea to make all VM has the same time ?

Best Regards

you do not need a ntp server in a container (and its not possible) - time comes from the host.

do you set the right time zone in your container? what OS template do you use?

do you set the t

Hi Tom, thanks for your time

The Proxmox are in Debian
Linux admin 2.6.24-2-pve x86_64 GNU/Linux

And the VM are in Debian 4 and Debian 5

The Proxmox has the NTP running and in the Web manager from the proxmox i can see Date&Time&Time Zone correctly

Best Regards

Very thanks dietmar, now it work :D

if some one need it, this is what i do

Code:
$ vzctl stop 108

$ vzctl set 108 --capability sys_time:on --save

$ vzctl start 108

$ vzctl enter 108

$ mv /etc/localtime /etc/localtime.old

$ ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Mexico_City /etc/localtime

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to follow the above can somebody please tell me what the character is after "sys_time" as i am seeing it as a smiley instead thanks.

you do not need a ntp server in a container (and its not possible) - time comes from the host.

Now that I've been bitten by the leap second bug, I'm curious about time architecture in Proxmox. Is it really true that you can't run NTP in a container?

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata do the trick.

Very thanks dietmar, now it work :D

if some one need it, this is what i do

Code:
$ vzctl stop 108

$ vzctl set 108 --capability sys_time:on --save

$ vzctl start 108

$ vzctl enter 108

$ mv /etc/localtime /etc/localtime.old

$ ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Mexico_City /etc/localtime

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!