Not getting internet access within VM

• Thread starter 40tonsofbananas
  • Start date

40tonsofbananas

So, I finally got my box up and running, just forgot the secure protocol (https)

I have managed to install a new VM with vmbr0 however the VM is not accepting internet access. How can I fix this?

I've got one box set up, using the defaults for basically everything, boots up to the os asks for me to install the drivers and what not, but I don't know how to add them! :(

I guess I'm using a DHCP server ~ How do I get the drivers installed if the box has no web access?

What os are you loading in the VM? If it is windows, make sure to use e1000 as the network adapter and not realtek or virtio

Sent from my Nexus 5

What os are you loading in the VM? If it is windows, make sure to use e1000 as the network adapter and not realtek or virtio

Sent from my Nexus 5

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Updated til June of this year, and I am using the E1000 network adapter but can't figure out how to add some type of flash storage or whatever to transfer from my main machine the E1000 driver to the VM

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Updated til June of this year, and I am using the E1000 network adapter but can't figure out how to add some type of flash storage or whatever to transfer from my main machine the E1000 driver to the VM

You shouldn't need drivers of any kind if you configure your VM with e1000 nic. Shutdown the VM and set the VM nic to e1000

Sent from my Nexus 5

You shouldn't need drivers of any kind if you configure your VM with e1000 nic. Shutdown the VM and set the VM nic to e1000

Sent from my Nexus 5

Does it need to be set to NAT mode or Bridged mode? I have the E1000 NIC set, however there is an unknown device under the Device Manager that has the hardware ID VEN_8086&DEV_100E&SUBSYS_11001AF4

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the driver working!

Does it need to be set to NAT mode or Bridged mode? I have the E1000 NIC set, however there is an unknown device under the Device Manager that has the hardware ID VEN_8086&DEV_100E&SUBSYS_11001AF4

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the driver working!

Bridged.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Bridged.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Tried this, didn't work.

Set to NAT mode, created an ISO image with just the drivers for the e1000 nic and it worked! installed drivers using the setup file, however now I need to find a fix for the "standard" graphics card adapter. I need it to display a legitimate adapter, with at least 32mb of memory. the graphics card I have is an ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 5450.

I also need to figure out how to get TightVNC viewer set up on the machine so I can access these from the outside world (WAN)

You have something seriously wrong with your setup. I have one xp guest and didn't have to do any of that. Set your virtual display to VMware.

Sent from my Nexus 5

You have something seriously wrong with your setup. I have one xp guest and didn't have to do any of that. Set your virtual display to VMware.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I guess your ISO must be more updated or something, kuz I just have to add the E1000 ISO(which I made) to use the NIC

How do I get the machine to have a WAN address?

Why would you want an xp machine to have a public IP?

If you are behind a router, you have some work to do....

If you just need access to the VM over the WAN, you should use port forwarding.

Sent from my Nexus 5

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!