[SOLVED] Node not connecting to cluster

losarbitan

Nov 23, 2023
Hello all,

Recently I downsized my 4 node cluster to just 2 nodes. I had some free IP's now and wanted to switch my secondary node (SystemB) from 10.11.12.108 to 10.11.12.104. Whilst my main node (SystemA) lives on 10.11.12.105. I did not read up on correct procedure for changing the IP of nodes and messed up a bit. I edited the /etc/hosts and /etc/network/interfaces file on SystemB and ran an ifreload -a to update the changes. I also changed the hostname from SystemB to System2. I then noticed the cluster issues. Subsequently I decided to revert these changes so that I could use proper procedure to edit the IP of a node. However, after reverting the changes back to the original state the nodes no longer seem to be able to connect to each other. Actually I tried this twice and the cluster issues only started on the second time of trying this, I do not remember exactly what changed between the first and second time I tried it. I think I only changed the /etc/hosts file the first time.

I have checked and the /etc/corosync/corosync.conf and /etc/pve/corosync.conf files are all identical to each other on both nodes. I have tried many of the proposed solutions that I could find on the forums here. I think I did not do anything lasting to my configs anyway. All permanent changes that I did are (I think):
  1. Increased the quorum vote of SystemA from 1 to 2, I think I did not increment the config version, but this was before I had cluster issues (I think).
  2. Upped the corosync conf files to a version number higher than previously tested (version: 7)
  3. started up local mode and this created 2 pmxcfs processes (I think) that I now can not seem to get rid off when I run a killall $(pidof pmxcfs), this just returns the pid's followed by no process found.
Attached to the post are the config files I was talking about. Since I can only add 10 files the output of status commands are in the post.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!