No Local Login Prompt

i_like_turtles

May 4, 2024
Hi, I am experiencing a similar issue to: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/bringing-the-local-login-back.95944/

My Proxmox host boots, but at some point in the past stopped presenting the local login prompt.

I'm unable to ssh to it remotely ("No route to host" error) or access the web admin panel, so I need to be able to auth locally to troubleshoot my network issues.

I enabled PCI passthrough a while ago which I suspect may be related? I tried removing the GPU outright, but it didn't help.

Any help appreciated. Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited:
I enabled PCI passthrough a while ago which I suspect may be related?
You might also have setup a work-around that disabled the local login (or at least the display of it).
Press the e-key in the boot menu (GRUB or systemd-boot does not mater) and change amd_iommu or intel_iommu to off (which should prevent VMs with passthrough from starting) and remove the work-arounds like initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init and then boot.
If you have more kernel parameters that you don't recognize, maybe take a photo and show them here for advise.

Alternatively, you could booting the Proxmox installer or another Linux live CD (that supports ZFS if you use it) and chroot into your installation where you can then change settings (except for /etc/pve/, which will appear empty). You could then run ip a and adjust /etc/network/interfaces accordingly.
This process is a lot like (but not identical to) : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure

I fixed it - was trying different stuff and ended up commenting the entirety of my /etc/modules and /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf files. I think the former is what did the job:
Code:
#vfio
#vfio_iommmu_type1
#vfio_pci
#vfio_virqfd
then ran update-initramfs -u and rebooted.

Many thanks for your kind assist @leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!