No Boot after power loss

abishur

Nov 20, 2022
I had a power loss today on my server and when I powered back up it no longer boots into Proxmox.

I get the grub loading screen and then after it auto selects my Proxmox instance it gives me the following error message:

not boot.png
I am using a satadom in raid 0 so I had hoped that if one of them went bad the other would be good to go, but unfortunately they both fail to boot. How do I repair my proxmox installation at this point?

I am using a satadom in raid 0 so I had hoped that if one of them went bad the other would be good to go, but unfortunately they both fail to boot.
I guess you mean Raid1, because Raid0 would just make it worse.

How do I repair my proxmox installation at this point?
If only the bootloader is damaged you could boot a Live Linux, chroot into your PVE root filesystem and write a new bootloader using the proxmox-boot-tool.

I do mean Raid 1, thanks!

So if I grab the latest Proxmox VE iso installer and make a live USB, it will have the promox-boot-tool and I can use that to repair it, or do I need to grab a random live ISO and put the boot tool on the usb drive with whatever linux distro I choose? Sorry I've never gone through this before so it's a bit of an unplanned adventure for me, lol.

Alright, between this guide and this guide I got it up and running again, but just in case those links die someday here's what I did:

1) Burn a live USB. I didn't realize I could use proxmox's at first and used an ubuntu server iso

2) Once live USB had booted selected "Try or install"

3) Once it was asking me installer question, go to "Help" and select "Show Shell"

4) See what zpools I have by using

Code:
zpool import

(it should show an entry called "rpool")

5) If zpool isn't installed, install one of the suggested packages and do zpool import again

6) After confirm you have an "rpool" entry import the pool using

Code:
zpool import -f -R /mnt rpool

7) bind-mount all virtual file systems

Code:
        mount -o rbind /proc /mnt/proc
        mount -o rbind /sys /mnt/sys
        mount -o rbind /dev /mnt/dev
        mount -o rbind /run /mnt/run

8) Change root into /mnt using

Code:
chroot /mnt /bin/bash

9) Confirm what disk and partition has the EFI partition using

Code:
lsblk -o +FSTYPE

Look for the entry listed as "vfat" and is 512M. For me that was /dev/sdk2

10 ) Initialize the boot device

Code:
proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sdk2

11) Success! Though if it boots into initramfs on the next boot go back to the live USB, get to the shell prompt and import it again with:
Code:
zpool import -f rpool

Reactions: Dunuin and UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!