New to ProxMox - testing machine Proxmox-ve_8.1-2 freezes immediately

blenze

Feb 29, 2024
Hi Everyone,
Brand new user of Proxmox, not going well :(

Trying to test out Proxmox on a Dell Latitude 7280...

I've run through the installer a few times now, even tried version 7.4. After I install, I can get to the login screen.. If i try to login, It'll freeze before I can even do so.. I mean a complete lock up where you have to hold power to shut it down.

If I let it boot and not try to login, i can get to the web page, and ping... but it'll lock up before i ever log in, and the ping response even drops....

The laptop hardware is working fine. I've run this laptop for years with ESXi version 6.7 and recently upgraded to Version 8...
Thinking the BIOS might need a good update, i reloaded windows, downloaded the latest BIOS updated, and reloaded Proxmox 8.1-2 -- same situation.

I get that my testing platform isn't the best, but it's what I have available at the moment.

Any ideas on what is causing this immediate lock up? If you ask for logs, etc, please walk me through them. I'm Windows user not Unix/Linux etc.. :)

Thanks!!

Can you please post the output of your journal?

Code:
journalctl --since '2 days ago' > $(hostname)-journal.txt

You can see the since parameter in the above command, please make sure to adjust it in a way that at least one freeze is included in the output. This will create a txt file in the directory you are currently in. You can download it via e.g. WinSCP.

Hi Shanreich - thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately, I cannot seem to keep the machine stable long enough. Once it boots, it's frozen with 1 minute or less even if I don't try to login, etc.
I went into the BIOS and turned off everything I could think of to see if some hardware maybe it didnt' like:
UEFI, no legacy rom
Audio is off
Touchscreen is off
Unobtrusive mode off
Camera off
SD card off
Software Gaurd is off
Intel speedstep os off
C-States off
Turbo Boost off
HyperThread is enabled
Virtualization technology is enabled
VT for direct I/O enabled
Bluetooth, Wireless, GPS all disabled

I tried booting into "Advanced options for Proxmox.." and tried both options there. recovery mode starts to boot, but then the screen goes black and system appears to hang.
The last thing i see on screen is "you are in rescue mode"... give root password for maintenance or press contrl-D

I see that screen for 1-2 seconds before the laptop hangs and the screen goes black. I've quickly hit CTRL+D and i can see some output put is too quick to capture.

This is very strange, can you try a linux live system on that laptop?
you could try to install debian and see if that runs stable?

Hi ubu -

I downloaded debian-live-12.5.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso and ran the Live System. That ends up loading a desktop... everything runs great -- there is a "Install Debian" icon on the desktop, that when i run that, i can't get it to past the partition - "the installer failed to create a partition table on pve." regardless of what options i choose - erase disk, replace a partition with debian 12, or manual.. 3 times during the 'install debian' process, it crashed (just closed out by itself, not frozen)...

I'm going to chalk this one up to bad/dying hard drive i guess and move on.

I just installed Proxmox 8.1-2 on a lenovo thinkpad p14s and so far, it's been up and running for 15 minutes w/out any issue. So I can start to play around now :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!