New install Raid(1) does not seem to work?

Dariusz

Sep 17, 2021
Hello
I'm setting up new proxmox after years of using old one. So new version new problems :- )
I Want to have HDD redundancy on OS just in case one of them dies, I can quickly swap it & keep rolling. As it will be my work-home-office server...

I have 2x500gb Samsung disks. The idea is to use them as Raid1 - main OS for Proxmox + maybe 1-2 critical VMs.
The Rest of the Disks will be hocked up to TrueNas running in VM and that will be used for other VM's.

In any case, I've hit setup & install & Raid(1) & next next/ and wohoo I'm in WebGUI!
BUT
Summary gives>
224.00 KiB of 896.69 GiB
Which look a bit wrong as I should see 465gb max...
So... I'm a little confused...

I also tried Hardware Raid in bios, but Proxmox did not see that volume at all and he just saw individual disks...
I've installed the Proxmox 3x now as I though I "miss clicked" but no luck...

Any idea how to solve this issue?
Thanks!

Summary gives>
224.00 KiB of 896.69 GiB
Which look a bit wrong as I should see 465gb max...
So... I'm a little confused...
What raid1? ZFS? In case of ZFS see the outputs of zpool status -v and zfs list -o space.

Hey
There is only 1 raid(1), the other one is raidz(1) and BTXXX raid(1) I think during install.

I think you are right
1711658501704.png

It seem to be mirrored,
I also noticed that each time I create new "Storage" in datacentre, it just adds up 465gb to summary... so that is somewhat weird...
In any case, it seems to be workign! Wohoo!
Now I just have to figure out where would I see alerts if one of the disks broke!

Last edited:
Hey
There is only 1 raid(1), the other one is raidz(1) and BTXXX raid(1) I think during install.

I think you are right
View attachment 65495

It seem to be mirrored,
I also noticed that each time I create new "Storage" in datacentre, it just adds up 465gb to summary... so that is somewhat weird...
In any case, it seems to be workign! Wohoo!
Now I just have to figure out where would I see alerts if one of the disks broke!
By configuring zfs-zed+postfix or external monitoring tool.

I'm setting up new proxmox after years of using old one.
After having been a user of an older Proxmox setup for many years, I think it would be prudent of you to understand what ZFS is & isn't.
Its not simply Raid(1). It has many advantages & caveats that you need to be aware of.
I suggest now is a time (freshly installed) for you to read up & research carefully what the ZFS system actually is & isn't. Specifically within the Proxmox environment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!