New hostname for cluster member

stuartbh

Dec 2, 2019
ProxMox users, et alia:

I have a 4 node cluster and I wish to change the hostname of one of the nodes. I am running the latest version of ProxMox on all nodes and the node I wish to rename currently has no VMs or containers running on it.

What is the currently recommended procedure for accomplishing this?

Stuart

Last edited:
Hi,

In order to rename the node name, you can follow our wiki below link [0].

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Renaming_a_PVE_node

I had actually intended to delete my original post as I located the link you mentioned before you responded. However, I will point out that I think I also saw places to modify "storage.cfg" and also "ceph.conf" that had references to where a host name change might also be prudent. If these files would have updated themselves over time absent a manual change, so be it, in the alternative perhaps updating the wiki might be useful to others.

This is what I did to check my work thereafter:

pushd /etc/
grep -ir 'my-old-hostname' * | grep -Eiv 'pve/.clusterlog|lvm/archive|lvm/backup'
popd;

Thank you for your response.

Stuart

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!