Network Disconnection Windows 11 VM

Nikolai_Arman

Feb 27, 2024
Hello,

I am new here and not sure if I am posting this in the right forum, however after hours of research I cannot seem to find any useful information. I have a Windows 11 VM with everything installed and setup following a guide for GPU pass-through, I also have a few other devices passed through. I have parsec installed and I use this to connect to the VM for gaming (I got rid of my windows machine because I only use Windows for gaming). After about 5-6 minutes of use the VM with disconnect from the network and I can not figure out if it is an issue with Parsec or an issue with Proxmox. The logs on Parsec do not show that the application is having issue. I do not have an issue with Parsec installed on a thin client and remotely accessing it outside of my network or inside of the network. I do not experience these issues with any Linux VM I have setup either it is strictly with Windows VM's I have this issue. I have screenshots attached of my VM configuration file, one showing the VM is running, and another showing that the VM is not connected to my home network.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-02-27 14-49-02.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-27 14-49-02.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot from 2024-02-27 14-46-25.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-27 14-46-25.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot from 2024-02-27 14-45-58.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-27 14-45-58.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot from 2024-02-27 15-32-34.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-27 15-32-34.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 4
[UPDATE]

I reinstalled Proxmox and then built a new Windows 11 VM I made a separate Linux Bridge using my secondary Aquantia 10GB NIC in case the primary bridge was causing problems. I continued to have "network disconnects" however I did find out what the problem was I believe and it was an issue with Windows BSOD with the error DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR. After some research and reading the documentation from Proxmox I found out some of the flags people post in their guides arent needed and that a lot of those guides miss the one flag to fix these issues (echo "options kvm ignore_msrs=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf) with stress tests such as 3D mark. I also had issues with the Thunderbolt Add-in Card causing kernel errors and the Proxmox host trying to take control of it. I removed that card corrected the flags and ran typical SFC and DISM to clean the Windows Image and have not had an issue since.

I highly recommend if anyone else has problems with the same kernel error in a Windows VM to ditch the guides and follow the documentation from Proxmox directly as that seems a lot more accurate.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!