Need help with understanding backup retention policies + potential clashes

proxymoxyabc

Apr 1, 2024
Hello, I'm running proxmox VE 7.3. I currently have 2 backup schedules with the following retention policies:

1. Backup weekly, with retention keep-monthly=12, for all VMs
  2. Backup daily, with retention keep-daily=15, for a special subset of VMs.

My intention is that I want retain weekly backups for all VMs for the past 52 weeks, and for a subset of the more important VMs, also keep daily backups for the past 15 days. However, it seems like my setup is incorrect, as I'm noticing that:
  • rule 1 appears to be keeping only the end-of-month weekly backups for all VMs that are not in the special subset.
  • in the special subset of VMs that rule 2 also applies, it seems like the backups made from rule 1 that are older than 15 days are being erased.
So, if I wanted to implement my intention correctly, what would be the correct setup? Is it this (change to rule 1)?
  1. Backup weekly, with retention keep-weekly=52, for all VMs
  2. Backup daily, with retention keep-daily=15, for a special subset of VMs.
But if my suspicion is correct regarding the clashing of rule 2 on rule 1 - as in, the keep-daily=15 is deleting the weekly backups - then how should I properly configure this?

Thanks

Hello, I'm running proxmox VE 7.3.
You should upgrade as you are running a server with unpatched vulnerabilities and bugs. At least upgrade to 7.4. But PVE 7.4 will be End-of-Life this summer too and then an upgrade to PVE8 would be required for a secure system.

My intention is that I want retain weekly backups for all VMs for the past 52 weeks
Then you should set it to keep-weekly=52 and not keep-monthly=12.
in the special subset of VMs that rule 2 also applies, it seems like the backups made from rule 1 that are older than 15 days are being erased.
You could set the retentions of the backup jobs to keep-all and then set the retention of the backup storage to keep-daily=15 + keep-weekly=52.
Or set retention of both backup jobs to keep-daily=15 + keep-weekly=52.

PS: There is also a prune simulator: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/prune-simulator/

You should upgrade as you are running a server with unpatched vulnerabilities and bugs. At least upgrade to 7.4. But PVE 7.4 will be End-of-Life this summer too and then an upgrade to PVE8 would be required for a secure system.

Thanks for the reminder on upgrading proxmox VE. Will definitely do that.

You could set the retentions of the backup jobs to keep-all and then set the retention of the backup storage to keep-daily=15 + keep-weekly=52.
Or set retention of both backup jobs to keep-daily=15 + keep-weekly=52.

PS: There is also a prune simulator: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/prune-simulator/
Thanks, will try that out!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!