Need Help with Networking!

PHPChris

Jul 14, 2012
Hello at all!
Im Chris from Germany, so please excuse my Bad English!

I've got a Dedicated Root Server with 1 LAN Adapter but 3 IP Adresses.

The first IP (lets just call it ip1) points to the proxmox ve interface.

I now installed Windows Server 2008 on a VM and want to give it the second IP (lets just call it ip2).

On a second VM i installed another Windows Server 2008. I want to give it the third IP (lets just call it ip3).

My question now is, how do I set-up the two IPs? They are both official IPs, I mean reachable from the Internet.

Do I have to set-up anything in the Webinterface or in the VM and how?

Please help me! Thanks, Chris.

Chris, I understand you have 3 IP addresses. The first IP address is used by your physical host and you want to allocate the second and third IP address to the Windows guest. Have you considered adding two NICs to your Windows guest, and configuring the networking within the Windows guest? You would add the first and second NIC on the web interface. You would add a single static IP address to each NIC in the Windows guest.

Thanks for your help! My question: Do I have to create a Bridge in the Webinterface or a Bond?

Thanks for your help! My question: Do I have to create a Bridge in the Webinterface or a Bond?
Good morning Chris. Before I answer your question, a little explanation. A bond is when you combine two physical NICs together. You would do this if you wanted higher performance than one NIC would give you. A bridge, is a way of connecting separated networks together. Your virtual guests are on the same network as your physical host.

In your case, you want to give real IP addresses to your virtual guests. You would create neither a bridge or a bond. These virtual machines are mounted on the network, as if they were real computers. You would just configure their networking with a static IPs, inside the virtual machine itself.

One important note: make sure your VM is attached to the vmbr0 interface. This is how they access the real work.

Good luck.

Hey, thanks for your explanations!

One more Problem :/
I cant choose the vmbr0 in the network configuration (because its deactivated?)!
I just set it to autostart true and I cant set the ethernet connection now to vmbr0 now, but I do not get Internet Access!

Do I have to make any settings on the vmbr0 interface?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!