Moving Drives between VM's? Please Help

Yes i have done that, do i just restart?
The update should restart the necessary daemons by itself. Only kernel upgrades need a reboot for obvious reasons. If QEMU got updated, you need to restart the VMs in order to have them running on the new QEMU version.

Last edited:
I have kind of same problem, i had a TrueNAS VM for filesharing, and the disk that i had the os installed on failed when i installed a new disk in my server i did forgot that it was atached to my raidcard and... yeah its gone!!
But all my data that i have as shared data between my Windows PC and proxmox i still intakt, but i cant find anyway to atach it to my new VM.
Pls help, i tried to move it from
Code:
mnt/pve/DIR01/images/101
to mnt/pve/DIR01/images/103
wich is the new folder for the new VM, so it would shown as "Unused Disk 1" and i just could mount it but it didnt work. This is a picture of the old VM and you can see Unused Disks, one of the still alive the .raw disk and the other one is gone1664920096725.png1664920306227.png
i renamed it to 103 instead and moved it to same folder. Im kind of new to proxmox but i feel that it must be a easyer way to just atach the old VMdisk to a new VM,,

im switching back now and ataching the disk its working fine (weard that it dont work when i do exakt the same way on the other VMs), and just re-installing the OS on a new disk and cross my fingers that i can recover the data on the disk :)

Now it wont boot when I trying to make a new OS disk, but if i try with same ISO and same config on a new VM then its working. It cant find anything to boot from on the HD, and i have re-installed with difrent versions of TrueNAS, its like it stuck with the GUIID or something from the disk that failed!
So now im back on square one and dont know how to get that VM-disk to start where I have all my back up on, can someon pls help.

You should just be able to reattach the virtual disk to your other VM. Before doing that I would suggest making a backup of your virtual disk, just in case. After you have done that you can click on your VM in the Web UI, then select Hardware. There you can select the disk and click on 'Disk Action' > 'Reassign Owner'. Select the VM you want to attach the disk to and then the disk should be available in the chosen VM.
@shanreich , Is it possible to backup a specific virtual disk or are you referring to the entire virtual machine?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!