motherboard compatibility

Apr 26, 2024
I want to put together a small system for a friend who only needs to run 2 linux guests. I want to host on Proxmox so I can more easily remote support him because he does not know Linux.

I want to use a desktop motherboard with an Intel I5 or I7 CPU. Boards from ASUS are readily available as are MSI boards. I am running Proxmox here on an older Supermicro rackmount. But my primary desktop PC uses an ASUS motherboard and has been running Ubuntu (currently 22.04LTS) without issues for 5 years. Some ASUS boards seem to be Debian-friendly.

Are there any guidelines as to which specific boards are likely to run Proxmox without issues?

My thanks in advance

Are you wanting to do any PCI-e passthrough or looking to do any other let's call it a more advanced or complicated configuration? Or are you just looking to install Proxmox VE and run 2 simple VMs? If they are more comfortable with Windows could you not use something like RDP and VirtualBox? What are these Linux VMs going to be used for?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!