Missing videocard

UncleBens

Mar 2, 2024
Greetings.
My server working without graphics, only web session. Now my PVE dont vision my video card. I try lsmod | grep nvidia and result - empty.
Early i connect videocard in VM through mapped device PCI-E. After i reboot PVE host, and videocard is faded.

# cd /dev/dri/
-bash: cd: /dev/dri/: No such file or directory

I try with AMD card. After start host i see device in lsmod and see directory /dev/dri, after mapped PCI-E device she fade. Reboot host - and see he again.
How do I get my nvidia card back? And why she faded?

If you pass something through to a VM then the host will lose access to it. It is just the nature of passthrough. You need to undo what you did to pass the nvidia card to the VM.

And don't buy Nvidia for use with Linux.

If you pass something through to a VM then the host will lose access to it. It is just the nature of passthrough. You need to undo what you did to pass the nvidia card to the VM.

And don't buy Nvidia for use with Linux.
So I recently upgraded from an older i5 based system where I had iGPU passthrough working to an AMD 5700g based system and I'm running into a similar issue where I can validate that the igpu is loaded / initialized and the /dev/dri resources are visible on the Proxmox 8.1.4 host, but I can't seem to get things working in the target VM. Is there something else that I'm missing?

• grub contains:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet iommu=pt initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init video=efifb:eek:ff"
  • /etc/modules contains:
    vfio
    vfio_iommu_type1
    vfio_pci
  • /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf contains:
    blacklist amdgpu
    blacklist radeon
  • VM is
    q35
    Tried both SeaBios and OVMF (UEFI)

root@proxmox:~# dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU | grep "AMD IOMMUv2 loaded and initialized"
[ 5.160575] AMD-Vi: AMD IOMMUv2 loaded and initialized
root@proxmox:~# lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
08:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] (rev c8)
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series]
Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
Kernel modules: amdgpu
root@proxmox:~# ls -la /dev/dri
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 100 Mar 7 08:21 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 5500 Mar 7 08:21 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Mar 7 08:21 by-path
crw-rw---- 1 root video 226, 0 Mar 7 08:21 card0
crw-rw---- 1 root render 226, 128 Mar 7 08:21 renderD128

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!