Migrating VM from VMware to Proxmox and retaining network config

squeezerie

Mar 22, 2024
Hello Everyone,
Is there a reliable method to import virtual machines (VMs) from VMware to Proxmox VE while retaining the network settings after attaching the disk? I have tried several times, but each time I imported a VM, the network settings were not configured properly.

Make sure that the MAC address for the vNIC is the same if the VM gets its network config via DHCP.
Thank you for responding. I apologize for not mentioning earlier that I have already set up the MAC address and network model to vmxnet3. Additionally, I have assigned static IP addresses to the VMs. However, upon booting up, the network settings revert to "Auto-obtain". Is there a way to resolve this issue?

If you are using static IPs, then its unlikely that you can easily transfer network settings in way that it just works.

If you are using Linux based OS the name of the interface depends on PCI bus and other parameters. They will most likely change in the new hypervisor and you will need to update your configuration.

If you are using Windows, the UUID of the interface will also change because the of the above and the fact the driver is not really identical, even if it has the same name. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/t...#:~:text=ID for Adapter-,Note,-ID for Adapter

Only with DHCP you may be able to receive the same reservation if, as mentioned above, you statically assign a custom MAC and your reservation is tied to the MAC.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!