Migrating from VMWare - Sanity check

virtualfund

Mar 19, 2024
Hi, experimenting with migrating from ESXi to Proxmox. Reason for migration to get onto quieter, less power hungry hardware as well as simplifying the configuration (arguably).

Current Setup:
  • r720xd Server
  • 8x16TB HDD in Raid10; for Windows file server
  • 2x10TB Raid1 - VM Replication
  • SSD's for all VM's
  • VM's running:
    • Plex (Windows) - P400 for transcoding
    • File Server
    • Docker (21 containers)
    • Veeam - will no longer be needed
    • vSphere - will be no longer needed
    • pi-hole
    • Unifi Controller
    • WDS Server - not really needed anymore
New Setup:
  • Beelink Ser6 - AMD 8C/16T - 64GB RAM - 1TB & 500GB NVMe (already in use for testing)
  • Old Intel NUC for PBS (only has 1 mSATA slot)
  • Building my own NAS likely with True NAS Scale (still up in the air on path forward here)
I also installed a instance of Proxmox and PBS on ESXi for testing currently.

I'd like to know if the above setup is sound. I'd be backing up the VM's to PBS as well as sync'd to an attached external drive. I have another offsite external drive that I would backup the file server too as well as the VM backups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!