Migrate VM with vGPU to another host

PNXNS

Jul 13, 2023
I have 4 hosts with vGPU, and I wanted to know if it is possible to migrate from one to another with the VM on. the VM is configured with mapped vGPU, but I get the message that the VM cannot be migrated. is it possible to do this in proxmox?

1692114305109.png

1692114366335.png

1692114415634.png

note that only is valid for live migration. offline migration should work without problems (thats one usecase for the resource mappings)

live migration with vgpus could work (with a new enough kernel), but we have to do some adaptions of the code for that (for now the code assumes pci passthrough devices cannot be migrated, which would be invalid then for example)

is that planned or just aspirational?
(This is 100% personal opinion, so sorry in advance for exagerations and strong words)

You realize, that this isn't a 10 minute exercise?

GPUs themselves hold an incredible amount of state and then there is the host-side mapping, too. It's also not really just a Promox feature but something that KVM and Linux need to support.

So I'd say don't hold your breath, especially since this affects lots of other heterogenous compute devices and accelerators who'd love the ease of live-migrations, without proper hardware abstractions in the x86/PCIe architecture making that easy: Linux or any other Unix doesn't really understand heterogeneous computing devices and there is little chance this will improve as these devices experience a cambrian explosion in diversity.

The biggest thing missing here is hyperscaler interest: migrating a virtual machine isn't what they'd do generally and less for pass-through accelerators.

Actually I'd say we're lucky to have live migrations at all, because they date back to the days when consolidation via scale-in was much more the norm. Now that hypescaler scale-out is the prevalent operational mode, chances of such a functionality being developed would be much slimmer, IMHO.

Just look how CRIU or container live-migration has basically never gone anywhere mainstream.

You realize, that this isn't a 10 minute exercise?
I have worked in development on operating systems, on features you have used every day if you use windows, hyper-v and remoting, so yes i have an incredibly good idea of the amount of work, not to mention reliance on upstream features.

I asked because i want to plan my strategy of what i put where, and the feature is evidently something the devs have noodled on and I just wanted to get a sense of how they think about it, but thanks for replying for them instead.

offline migration should work without problems
Now i have actually implemented a multi node pool i have some more observations /asks / questions:

• Feature Request: when clicking migrate on an online machine in the UI - rather than blocking the UI from doing a migrate, offer to do an offline migration (aka shutdown machine, move, restart). I assume if I use command line to do the move i won't be blocked like in the UI?
  • I am unclear what happens in a HA event - will the machine migrate to a running node, startup and just pick first device?
  • Given proxmox understands the pool, and the first device is picked, i assume the worry in a live migrations are:
    • memory state of the vGPU being invalidate as the target VFs will not have state and need to be reinitialized?
    • whether the guestOS sees a hotplug event or not
    • whether the guestOS driver can cope with that (on windows given the driver model my hope would be it would treated (at worst) as any other video driver crash and re-initialize?
    • I am sure I am missing something too..?
  • I guess for PCIE pass through there would be a need to treat devices either as hot-plug or not (i,e, some devices would be fine to be migrated live and some will not - and there would need to be a UI mechanism to classify them.... definitely a complex set of UI features required!)
  • I love that the VM on start will just pick the first available VFs - thats super neat!

1693079691853.png

Last edited:
I have worked in development on operating systems, on features you have used every day if you use windows, hyper-v and remoting, so yes i have an incredibly good idea of the amount of work, not to mention reliance on upstream features.

I asked because i want to plan my strategy of what i put where, and the feature is evidently something the devs have noodled on and I just wanted to get a sense of how they think about it, but thanks for replying for them instead.
Well I've been there and wanted that, too.

I know how easy it's to like having that feature, especially if you happen to have a relatively uniform farm, where sizeable groups of hosts have identical GPUs. At least GPUs (contrary to some other devices) have state that can wholly RAM mapped and thus could in theory be copied. But since that's not true for many other classes of devices, KVM and other hypervisors have always drawn a line on PCI pass-through.

And when it comes to CUDA, one could even imagine a logic similar to what live-migation checking logic is currently doing on vSphere, Xen or KVM, looking at lowest common denominators for CPU types, RAM etc. and at least CUDA devices so far have a clear linear hierarchy of compute facilities, unlike some of the x86 ISA extensions.

But CUDA already makes it pretty obvious, that the ROI for such live-migration logic would be very low, because CUDA applications really need to know what they are running on, to configure the sizes of their wavefronts and the code variants to use to match the capabilities of the hardware. A CUDA app first takes an inventory, then sets up for a given number of cores and capabilities and lets things rip. AFAIK there is no ability to re-adjust kernels mid-flight, do some kind of on-the-fly reconfiguration to match fluctuating demands or even live migrations.

CUDA is 1960's batch inside the GPU in terms of architecture, vGPUs an attempt to simulate something VM/370, the cost of migration and reconfiguration so huge, that time slices smaller than seconds might not be worth the effort while workloads that tolerate that might just be HPC and AI training, certainly not VDI, games or inference.

Most of the HPC and AI training jobs already contain checkpointing logic, so for them live-migration is essentially solved externally.

So it's very hard to see how the critical mass of skill, free developer time and financial incentive are ever going to condense in a single place to make this happen, even if it's technically possible.

Yes, I'd love to have that, too. But unless your data and conclusions are very different, it looks like it's not going to happen.

Last edited:
is that planned or just aspirational?
we want to implement it yes, but no timetable yet, as this touches quite a few places in our vm management logic

to answer the remaining questions (please ping if i forgot something or it's unclear):

Feature Request: when clicking migrate on an online machine in the UI - rather than blocking the UI from doing a migrate, offer to do an offline migration (aka shutdown machine, move, restart). I assume if I use command line to do the move i won't be blocked like in the UI?
no currently there is no such features for vms at this point (container have such a 'restart' migration, vms do not yet. feel free to open an enhancement request here: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com )

• I am unclear what happens in a HA event - will the machine migrate to a running node, startup and just pick first device?
if you mean a node loses connection to the rest of the cluster with 'ha event' then no this cannot work. if a node loses connection, the node will fence itself and the vm will simply be restarted on another node (according to the ha group settings)

Given proxmox understands the pool, and the first device is picked, i assume the worry in a live migrations are:
  • memory state of the vGPU being invalidate as the target VFs will not have state and need to be reinitialized?
  • whether the guestOS sees a hotplug event or not
  • whether the guestOS driver can cope with that (on windows given the driver model my hope would be it would treated (at worst) as any other video driver crash and re-initialize?
  • I am sure I am missing something too..?
actually no the the memory state etc. is handled by qemu and the driver so that is not the problem.

the issues are mostly that on generating the qemu commandline we did not have to be careful to generate the same layout when pci passthrough is enabled (it probably is in most cases everywhere but we'd have to check and make sure that this now always holds)
there are some things we have to check how they'd work, e.g. snapshots, suspend/resume etc. (they use similar mechanics as to live migration)
the integration of the config to make sure users can only configure that for devices that are able to live migrate (e.g. how do we detect if a vgpu is live migratable? do we simple let the user determine that and fail if it does not work?)
and mostly it's about testing that it works reliably (e.g. nvidia only officially supports citrix + vmware for live migration AFAICS, but it should work on recent kernels)

• I guess for PCIE pass through there would be a need to treat devices either as hot-plug or not (i,e, some devices would be fine to be migrated live and some will not - and there would need to be a UI mechanism to classify them.... definitely a complex set of UI features required!)
does not really have anything to do with hotplug, but yes as i wrote above, it's also a ux problem

• I love that the VM on start will just pick the first available VFs - thats super neat!
yes, i implemented that because it's super convenient, glad to hear it works as intended ;)

Reactions: scyto
vm will simply be restarted on another node
Thanks, that’s what I meant I should have said failover not migrate. Thanks!

Also thanks for the answers, gives me a good idea of where things stand. I work for one of the companies you mentioned so have a little insight to how deep the rabbit hole goes! i am super pleased with my proxmox PoC - week 3 this week of playing, pbs next up!

(e.g. how do we detect if a vgpu is live migratable? do we simple let the user determine that and fail if it does not work?)
Ahh I love these dilemmas, no right answer… unless you are doing a class based allow list where you hard code what device classes are and are not migrateable i think you are only left with defaulting to all are non-migrateable and then admin declares what would be migrateable. Having a list the proxmox team would have to keep accurately populated seem to be an exercise in ‘whack-a-mole’ where the list is constantly updated - but i dont know enough about how pcie devices declare themselves to know (or what linux kernel driver constructs might allow that - I am more of a windows guy…).

Last edited:
Ahh I love these dilemmas, no right answer… unless you are doing a class based allow list where you hard code what device classes are and are not migrateable i think you are only left with defaulting to all are non-migrateable and then admin declares what would be migrateable. Having a list the proxmox team would have to keep accurately populated seem to be an exercise in ‘whack-a-mole’ where the list is constantly updated - but i dont know enough about how pcie devices declare themselves to know (or what linux kernel driver constructs might allow that - I am more of a windows guy…).
yeah if the kernel/device/driver exposes some flag that would be very nice, but i haven't looked into that yet (too much to do, too little time). in any case i want it to be intuitive and mostly friction-less (so it should not be too much work, but you shouldn't be able to wrongly configure it either if possible...)

edit: i forgot a word

Reactions: scyto
but you shouldn't be able to wrongly configure it either if possible.
indeed as few 'hangnails' as possible is a good mantra

there are definitely a lot of those elsewhere in proxmox that should take priority - for example when i was doing my ceph setup i found if i messed up (got it into a read-only-never-initialized-state it would hang the storage part of the ui completely for all nodes all storage types if i clicked on the wrong thing, but now i am way off topic for this thread and so will back away slowly :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!