Management of old Kernels and Boot Entries

Noah0302

Jul 21, 2022
Hi guys,

I was wondering how you handle old Kernels and Boot Entries in your Proxmox Host(s).

I usually keep one or two older Kernels, in Case I encounter Problems with the latest Kernel, similair to this Screenshot from another Forum-Post:
r/Proxmox - Management of old Kernels and Boot Entries

Do you even keep older Kernels, or do you just remove them, as soon as APT marks them for Removal?

Thanks for reading!

I install all upgrades when they come out and if there is a kernel upgrade I will reboot the node as soon as possible when there is a maintainance window.
Then I test if everything is still working and then I run the apt autoremove to remove the old kernels. PVE will make sure the last kernel and a very old kernel will be kept as a fallback option.

I install all upgrades when they come out and if there is a kernel upgrade I will reboot the node as soon as possible when there is a maintainance window.
Then I test if everything is still working and then I run the apt autoremove to remove the old kernels. PVE will make sure the last kernel and a very old kernel will be kept as a fallback option.
So the old Boot-Entries will still be availible, even if
Code:
apt autoremove
removes them?

If yes, thats exactly what I want.

So the old Boot-Entries will still be availible, even if
Code:
apt autoremove
removes them?
No, what apt autoremove removes won't be available anymore. But apt autoremove won't remove all old kernels. It will always keep some recent and very old kernels back. An apt autoremove will show you what would be removed and you can then decide to continue or not.

Reactions: Noah0302
No, what apt autoremove removes won't be available anymore. But apt autoremove won't remove all old kernels. It will always keep some recent and very old kernels back. An apt autoremove will show you what would be removed and you can then decide to continue or not.
Thank you for the explanation!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!