[main] crit: Unable to resolve node name 'prox' to a non-loopback IP address - missing entry in '/etc/hosts' or DNS?

jlobao86

Feb 8, 2024
I am trying to rescue my proxmox server after a hardware failure. The BIOS was no longer recognizing my nvme ssd as a drive, it was just absent from the BIOS. But I have removed the nvme ssd from that machine and have it loaded in another machine and it boots and is recognized.

Initially it would boot to the normal welcome to proxmox screen with the access url. After changing the networking config appropriately, I am no longer rebooting to the main screen and am just getting the root@prox command line.

I can ping correctly, but things like apt update and apt upgrade stay on 0%. After scouring forums for three days, I am looking at the journal for the pve-cluster service and am seeing this critical error.

This is really the only error I see when using journalctl -xeu pve-cluster.service

prox was the name of my node, not my domain or anything so I'm not even sure why its suggesting network related issues?

Can someone please help its been daysssssss. At this point if I can just get my VMs off this drive some other way and just save what I have so I can reinstall on some other drive or something I'd be ecstatic. Only installed proxmox for the first time 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!