login via GUI or terminal is not possible

SchwarzeLanze

May 4, 2024
Hi, this is Max.

Last night, I installed Proxmox VE 8.2 and left the system running to monitor the energy consumption of the new board.

• This morning, when I attempted to log in to continue, both the root password and user account were denied access, both in the GUI and via Terminal on the server. The realm is configured for standard authentication.

• I have noticed several similar issues discussed in the forum, but most seem to be related to clusters instead of occurring after a fresh installation.

I would appreciate any advice. Fortunately, there is no critical data stored on the system yet. However, the fact that even a basic login is unreliable raises concerns about its reliability for future use cases.

All the best,
Max

I would appreciate any advice. Fortunately, there is no critical data stored on the system yet. However, the fact that even a basic login is unreliable raises concerns about its reliability for future use cases.
Hi Max, welcome to PVE.

Are you running this installation on enterprise-grade hardware? Are you sure that you have sufficient disk space? Can you type the password in the username field - does it look correct?
Is it possible that you subconsciously mistyped the password yesterday? I've had cases where I mistyped the password twice during installation, and couldn't login the next day.

In short, the symptom you described is too generic. There could be 10s, if not 100s, of causes for it. The most common way to troubleshoot such a condition is to boot via Live ISO and examine the root disk, including the logs.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: SchwarzeLanze
Hi Max, welcome to PVE.

Are you running this installation on enterprise-grade hardware? Are you sure that you have sufficient disk space? Can you type the password in the username field - does it look correct?
Is it possible that you subconsciously mistyped the password yesterday? I've had cases where I mistyped the password twice during installation, and couldn't login the next day.

In short, the symptom you described is too generic. There could be 10s, if not 100s, of causes for it. The most common way to troubleshoot such a condition is to boot via Live ISO and examine the root disk, including the logs.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Hi bbgeek17 thank you for answering :)

I agree that there are multiple ways simple typos or other user-caused errors could be responsible in this case. Up to this point, I have tried to exclude as many common mistakes as possible, such as:

• Typing the password into the username space to check for the correct characters, as you have described.
  • Deleting the browser cache and changing browsers.
  • After installation, I saved the password into my password manager. For the first login, I used the manager to fill out the login form, and it worked.
I completely forgot about the system specs. I have installed Proxmox on an IBM-V2000M with:
  • 32GB ECC RAM
  • 2TB Samsung Evo 970
  • PLEX 250W Gan PSU
Yesterday, I skipped installing updates via a suitable repository. Could this be the connection?
Thank you.
Max.

Yesterday, I skipped installing updates via a suitable repository. Could this be the connection?
Unlikely. I think your next step is to rescue boot and examine the system/change the password. Out of curiosity, save /etc/shadow and then compare the hash.
Good luck

Short update: I figured out that the smart meter I'm using has a timer, which I hadn't configured yet. It cuts the power for a few seconds after expiring, after which the board automatically powers on again. Could my problem be related to this? I have no idea. I have now reinstalled Proxmox and haven't encountered any problems so far.

All the best.

Short update: I figured out that the smart meter I'm using has a timer, which I hadn't configured yet. It cuts the power for a few seconds after expiring, after which the board automatically powers on again. Could my problem be related to this? I have no idea. I have now reinstalled Proxmox and haven't encountered any problems so far.

All the best
If you are lucky enough, that forced shutdown messed up your /etc/shadow and everything goes to shithole.

Just a bit more lucky and Samsung could decide to mess up your LBA and leaving you looking at an empty disk, wondering "where's my hypervisor?"

Yes, I am implying Samsung consumer SSDs are more vulnerable to power loss than other brands. The only competitor in this regard is some really old Intel SATA SSDs, like from 2010.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!