Local(PVE) ISO's removed - Space not Reclaimed / New ISO Store Added Can't Upload

JakeIT

Mar 27, 2023
Hi All,

I am working on some POC on our dev box.
We've got subs for our production machines.

However I've removed some ISO's to clear off space in Local(PVE) but in our updated 8.3 dev box - the space doesn't become available and /dev/mapper/pve-root is still at 100% ...

I then added some USB Space to keep working (all logged in as root) and it shows up successfully but an upload gives the classic 0 error as if that was full.

Can anyone assist me --- I'm stuck as the www - gives me seemingly unreleated fixes :)

However I've removed some ISO's to clear off space in Local(PVE) but in our updated 8.3 dev box - the space doesn't become available and /dev/mapper/pve-root is still at 100% ...
have you run du -h -x -d1 / ?
I am not sure what adding USB space means, but if you tried to extend your root volume group with USB device, thats a rather bad idea. By default upload goes to root disk, adding another disk without making multiple other changes to directory structure is not going to help.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

OK - Looks like I've found a bug here.

You can delete files that are tied up by VM's ISO's that are mounted against VM's will delete - but DO NOT clear down until the VM is stopped.

Now that store is useable - the other larger store has started working too.

Shouldn't be able to be this much of an idiot and the software let you get away with it - but not :)

You can delete files that are tied up by VM's ISO's that are mounted against VM's will delete - but DO NOT clear down until the VM is stopped.
Now that store is useable - the other larger store has started working too.
That's not a bug, it is normal Linux behavior. You can delete an open file but the space won't be reclaimed until all processes close it.

ETA: The other option here is to do what Windows does and lock open files so you can't delete them. Problem with that is you can't update things like shared libraries without a reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!