local lvm doesnt exist error

BossHoss

Jan 12, 2024
i use proxmox for a gaming server and homelab learning/experimenting so not only am i inexperienced but i sometimes dont check on it for weeks or stop half way though projects and forget where i was.

the last time proxmox was working for me i remember following a guide to get rid of the lvm thin setup or something like that. i just started up the server and couldnt get any vm's to start and couldnt use templates to clone. i kept getting a message that local lvm doesnt exist. the question is , is this going to be a total loss or just a nightmare? i'would really like to save the data from the vm used for my game server and get my windows keys if possible but im not worried about any of the other stuff if i have to do a fresh install of proxmox. the gaming server was hosted on a win server 2019 vm if it matters.

im a glutten for punishment so the problem is compounded by the fact that i used multiple physical machines to host proxmox so not only do i not know what physical disk holds the data but i also get lost switching back and forth in the terminal.

also if i do end up having to do a fresh install is there an easy way to have my proxmox machines (laptop and 2x r710's) use my nas? nas is not proxmox, its a container/vm with true nas scale hosted on a windows 11 desktop that is connected with ethernet.

while making suggestions please keep in mind i am very very new to homelab, linux, cli, proxmox, docker and everything related.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-12 112523.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-12 112523.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-01-12 112846.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-12 112846.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2024-01-12 112915.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-12 112915.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 14
Hi,
did the error start happening after you joined the cluster? The storage configuration is shared across all nodes, so the joining node will inherit it from the cluster: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#pvecm_join_node_to_cluster

If that is the case, you can connect to the web interface via the IP of node pve710a. To re-add the storage configuration, go to Datacenter > Storage > Add > LVM-thin and add the data thin pool with ID local-lvm selecting the appropriate node restriction if the storage is only available on that node. If that doesn't work, please post the output of the commands vgs and lvs on node pve710a.

Hi,
did the error start happening after you joined the cluster? The storage configuration is shared across all nodes, so the joining node will inherit it from the cluster: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#pvecm_join_node_to_cluster

If that is the case, you can connect to the web interface via the IP of node pve710a. To re-add the storage configuration, go to Datacenter > Storage > Add > LVM-thin and add the data thin pool with ID local-lvm selecting the appropriate node restriction if the storage is only available on that node. If that doesn't work, please post the output of the commands vgs and lvs on node pve710a.
the problem started months later. i believe the cause was me blindly following a youtube tutorial i found while trying to figure out why storage space wasnt freeing up after deleting vm's. i cant even find the tutorial anymore but i believe it was based on eliminating the use of thin pools. there are 2 nodes in the proxmox cluster, one is a laptop with a 1 or 2 tb nvme drive that was basically only used for the nvme storage, the r710a was where i ran 90% of stuff but i believe it was all using the nvme from the laptop since my r710 only has 2x 300gb drives.

root@pve710a:~# vgs
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
pve 1 2 0 wz--n- 277.87g 190.40g
root@pve710a:~# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
root pve -wi-ao---- <79.47g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g
root@pve710a:~#

the problem started months later. i believe the cause was me blindly following a youtube tutorial i found while trying to figure out why storage space wasnt freeing up after deleting vm's. i cant even find the tutorial anymore but i believe it was based on eliminating the use of thin pools. there are 2 nodes in the proxmox cluster, one is a laptop with a 1 or 2 tb nvme drive that was basically only used for the nvme storage, the r710a was where i ran 90% of stuff but i believe it was all using the nvme from the laptop since my r710 only has 2x 300gb drives.

root@pve710a:~# vgs
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
pve 1 2 0 wz--n- 277.87g 190.40g
root@pve710a:~# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
root pve -wi-ao---- <79.47g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g
root@pve710a:~#
By default, the local-lvm storage uses the data thin pool. Unfortunately, it seems that that pool is not present anymore, so most likely also not the images it contained.

By default, the local-lvm storage uses the data thin pool. Unfortunately, it seems that that pool is not present anymore, so most likely also not the images it contained.

i was able to find what i believe are the files needed to restore the vm's by browsing the file system with the desktop environment of the laptop node, but im unsure where to go from there as in how to restore them or make them functional again. i tried to copy to a usb stick but was denied access.

are these the actual files i need to restore? how would i go about doing that?

sorry yes i know its the cringy camera phone photo of a computer screen but, i have no idea how to screenshot from linux or how to then get that screenshot to the windows pc that im posting from.

Attachments

• 20240129_074507.jpg
    20240129_074507.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 6
Those files are just the configuration files that currently exist. It's what you can see in the web UI too. You would also need the virtual images that the VMs used.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!