list which iso or template is used/required for vm/ct?

rcd

Jul 12, 2019
Is there a way to list which iso or template is used/required for vm/ct?

I am carefully taking snapshots but just realize (sometime?) the iso/template used to create it is required in order to restore it. I realize I perhaps should have made a note of it during creation, but I didn't.

I'm sure there must be a way to show it by vmid/ctid or something?

Last edited:
Yes, just use grep:

Code:
root@proxmox7 ~ > grep -ri cdrom /etc/pve/nodes/*/qemu-server/ | grep -v none
/etc/pve/nodes/proxmox6/qemu-server/5011.conf:ide2: iso-generator:iso/RHEL_8.7.0_2023-05-08_16-18-23-c182654_x86_64.iso,media=cdrom
/etc/pve/nodes/proxmox6/qemu-server/7098.conf:ide2: local:iso/SNG7-PBX16-64bit-2208-2.iso,media=cdrom,size=2377M
/etc/pve/nodes/proxmox7/qemu-server/2008.conf:ide2: isodump-linux-generell:iso/ipxe.iso,media=cdrom,size=700K
/etc/pve/nodes/proxmox7/qemu-server/2008.conf:ide2: isodump-linux-generell:iso/ipxe.iso,media=cdrom,size=700K
/etc/pve/nodes/proxmox7/qemu-server/5203.conf:ide0: iso-generator:iso/OL_6.9_2017-12-12_15-31-15-49632d2_x86_64.iso,media=cdrom,size=3999884K

You can also edit a snapshot with your favorite editor and change the cdrom manually. Snapshots of the configuration are not frozen and can be edited.

Isn't this just the currenly mounted isos? What if they have been unmounted/ejected, would they still show?

What about containers, they don't need the base iso to restore?

What about containers, they don't need the base iso to restore?
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but a restore of a container does not need the original template (it's all in the backup).

EDIT: I'm sorry, I don't understand "base iso". Maybe I should not have tried to answer the question.

Last edited:
I've been in the situation of moving a snapshot from one server to another, and got the error that the base iso was missing. I don't recall if it was VM or CT, hence the question.

I've been in the situation of moving a snapshot from one server to another, and got the error that the base iso was missing. I don't recall if it was VM or CT, hence the question.
Yu can move disks around, but not snapshots. What did you do exactly?

Isn't this just the currenly mounted isos?
Not only currently, also all snapshots, because a snapshot is also a copy of the plain config settings.

What if they have been unmounted/ejected, would they still show?
No, they are set to none.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!