Kernel not updating after reboot

osopolar

Nov 3, 2022
Hi Guys

Everytime for the past 4 updates i get taken to old looking install menu saying kernel old and i need to reboot to update.
I agree then it shows which service would you like to restart but only 1 selected .
But after every reboot i dont think my kernel is being updated i still see Linux proxmox 6.5.13-5-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.5.13-5 (2024-04-05T11:03Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux

If i do a manual apt update apt upgrade it says everything is fine ??

That looks fine. Did you run apt dist-upgrade, did it work? Is your system booting from the drive/partition that is updated?
Do you want me to run apt dist-upgradefrom terminal inside Proxmox or can i so it via a ssh login ?

It looks dist-ugprade worked. Make sure proxmox-boot-tool updates the ESPs that your system uses to boot from, if you still don't get the option during boot to use kernel 6.8.
HI
I am a noob to Proxmox so still trying to find my way round it
Last login: Sun Apr 28 09:09:16 BST 2024 on pts/0
root@proxmox:~# proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
E: /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids does not exist.
root@proxmox:~#

This looks wrong is it possible to fix it ?

HI
I am a noob to Proxmox so still trying to find my way round it
Last login: Sun Apr 28 09:09:16 BST 2024 on pts/0
root@proxmox:~# proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
E: /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids does not exist.
root@proxmox:~#

This looks wrong is it possible to fix it ?
Looks like proxmox-boot-tool is not managing your boot partitions, which is unexpected for a recent Proxmox installation. Maybe search for "switching to proxmox-boot-tool"?

EDIT: How did you install Proxmox?

Looks like proxmox-boot-tool is not managing your boot partitions, which is unexpected for a recent Proxmox installation. Maybe search for "switching to proxmox-boot-tool"?

EDIT: How did you install Proxmox?
From a USB directly all the other packages update no issue

Did you not install Debian 11 first (and PVE 7.x on top) and later upgrade to PVE 8? This screenshot looks like you did. Either switch to proxmox-boot-tool, or find out how to update your boot partition. Maybe you can find the procedure for this on the Wiki or search this forum?
Sorry yes I did it the way you described above
Question How does everything else update with no issue but not the kernel ?
I do not understand how it can update everything but not the kernel !

1714462228289.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!