[SOLVED] Issue with Web interface and Pools (poolid error)

tdrift

Dec 18, 2023
Hi,

I guess I am still new to Proxmox but I keep running into an issue which feels more like a bug than a feature to me and caused me to have to reinstall proxmox twice already. I hope by asking here to avoind having to do it once again.

I am still setting up the system, so I have not set users and groups yet, but it supposed to be small home server with some file sharing, home automation and proxy,vpn and dns service. and I will also play around with vms. To start with I got the setup I wated with a TrueNAS VM with the whole sata controler passed through, PCI passthrough for VMs, users only in TrueNAS and no influence on the Proxmox VE... but it was kind of heavy on resources and I also wanted to have the PVE on mirrored zfs so I reinstalled everything and decided to go the Turnkey/Debian LXC route for the file sharing. I seemed to get everything working just fine with network speeds matching the TrueNAS ones and I proceded to setting up the storage. I wanted to have everything synced so I was looking into setting up LDAP server etc etc... While looking into permissions, users and such I noticed the Resource Pool description in the manual " ... You can then simply set permissions on pools (/pool/{poolid}) ... This is a great way to simplify access control." Well, great advertisment. So in my naive self I decided to create a couple of pools to separate the different vms/lxcs based on their purpose... and all hell breaks loose. The moment I start adding users, storage or vms/lxc to pools the web interface breaks and nothing seems to help anymore. commandline tools work but the web interface just throws this error on every operation I try, including datacenter backup, changing options on vms, everything

Parameter verification failed. (400)

poolid: property is not defined in schema and the schema does not allow additional properties

And on the pool inself (Datacenter > Permissions > Pool) I get this one

Parameter verification failed. (400)

poolid: type check ('string') failed - got ARRAY

From this point on the error is there foreever, deleting the pools and all users except root doesn't help. As the comandline tools still work just fine, it seems to me that something breaks in the API/Permission lookup part of the web interface, and breaks forever.

Lets say I forget about pools as it doesn't seem to be "there" yet, but is there a way to rebuild the web interface back to original state, or do I need to reinstall again from scratch?

Last edited:
Lot's of help. well I solved it myself - enable the non subscription respository and apt reinstall the web manager interface fixes the problem. But again, this looks like a bug, I don't know if you can send bug notices somewhere.

Just wanted to say thanks - I also tried enabling pools, and discovered they weren't quite ready. Got the same error you did, removed pools, still got the errors.

Your solution with reinstalling web interface seems to have fixed the issue:
Bash:
apt install --reinstall pve-manager

Guess we'll leave pools alone for now. :p

same here but that command did not resolve the issue here, any other ideas?
Unfortunately not. You COULD try reinstalling some of the related scripts, using:
Code:
apt install --reinstall pve-manager proxmox-widget-toolkit libjs-extjs
It wasn't necessary to fix my issue, but maybe it'll help you?

This has to be done on the node where you connect to. and refresh the browser !

Last edited:
I think just the node where the changes were made. At least this is what I did in my case, but I have one "main" 24/7 node where most lxc and vm's are located, the other nodes in my cluster are essentially either ondemand only or for backups so I don't bother rebooting them regularly.

If you have fully synchronised nodes and and the configs have been distributed to all of them you might need to upgrade all of them, ofc being careful for keeping your system online and keeping quorum in the cluster.

Just wanted to say thanks - I also tried enabling pools, and discovered they weren't quite ready. Got the same error you did, removed pools, still got the errors.

Your solution with reinstalling web interface seems to have fixed the issue:
Bash:
apt install --reinstall pve-manager

Guess we'll leave pools alone for now. :p

I had the same problem and reinstalling pve-manager fixed the issue. Without changing the repo to anything else

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!