Is there any way to verify my installation media is correct?

Ryan_Malone

Mar 31, 2024
I downloaded the install media and followed the instructions to prepare the installation media on a Mac. I think the instructions are a little out of date and after what I THINK were the correct steps, I got the message below which made me think something went wrong.

After using the command below, with my disk number of course
-----------------------
replace X with the disk number from the last command.
# sudo dd if=proxmox-ve_*.dmg bs=1M of=/dev/rdiskX
------------------------
I got the message below which doesn't look right, but please correct me if I'm wrong. is there any way to confirm whether this is expected or that the media installed correctly?
-------------------------
unknown operand ifeproxmox-ve_8.1-2.dmg
--------------------------

Ah you're right. I fixed it, but it failed even though I actually copied the file name directly so I can't have made a mistake. Full file name is 'proxmox-ve_8.1-2.dmg'. Error I received was 'dd: proxmox-ve_8.1-2.dmg: No such file or directory'. Did making a mistake the first time damage the image file somehow?

So I deleted the ISO and tried again. Am I doing something wrong or are the instructions wrong?
Instructions
--------------------------------
hdiutil convert proxmox-ve_*.iso -format UDRW -o proxmox-ve_*.dmg
What I tried
RyansMacStudio ~ % hdiutil convert proxmox-ve_8.1-2.iso -format UDRW -o proxmox-ve_8.1-2.dmg

hdiutil: convert failed - No such file or directory
-----------------------------------

Ah you're right. I fixed it, but it failed even though I actually copied the file name directly so I can't have made a mistake.
You copied it but the copy introduced a mistake and you did not correct it. But it's not your mistake? This is not about assigning blame, it's about making sure the steps are done correctly to get the result you want.
Full file name is 'proxmox-ve_8.1-2.dmg'. Error I received was 'dd: proxmox-ve_8.1-2.dmg: No such file or directory'. Did making a mistake the first time damage the image file somehow?
Are you executing the command from the directory/folder where proxmox-ve_8.1-2.dmg is located? Otherwise you might need to provide the whole path to the file (and yes, the instruction don't spell this out).
So I deleted the ISO and tried again. Am I doing something wrong or are the instructions wrong?
Instructions
hdiutil convert proxmox-ve_*.iso -format UDRW -o proxmox-ve_*.dmg
What I tried
RyansMacStudio ~ % hdiutil convert proxmox-ve_8.1-2.iso -format UDRW -o proxmox-ve_8.1-2.dmg

hdiutil: convert failed - No such file or directory
-----------------------------------
This is a previous step of the process. Why did you go back to this? What did you do the first time (when it worked). Is proxmox-ve_8.1-2.iso present in the directory/folder that run the command from? You write that you "deleted the ISO" but that ISO is needed by this command. Please go back another step and download the ISO again.
Maybe create a bootable USB (or DVD) of the Proxmox ISO on an operating system that you are familiar with?

You copied it but the copy introduced a mistake and you did not correct it. But it's not your mistake? This is not about assigning blame, it's about making sure the steps are done correctly to get the result you want.

Are you executing the command from the directory/folder where proxmox-ve_8.1-2.dmg is located? Otherwise you might need to provide the whole path to the file (and yes, the instruction don't spell this out).

This is a previous step of the process. Why did you go back to this? What did you do the first time (when it worked). Is proxmox-ve_8.1-2.iso present in the directory/folder that run the command from? You write that you "deleted the ISO" but that ISO is needed by this command. Please go back another step and download the ISO again.
Maybe create a bootable USB (or DVD) of the Proxmox ISO on an operating system that you are familiar with?
I didn't know Terminal is executing anything from a specific directory. I certainly haven't specified any specific directly. Not sure how to do that so I'll just add the entire path.

I deleted the ISO to start from scratch. The first time the first step didn't work either so I just changed the file extension and carried on. I'm more familiar with Windows, but I'd rather figure it out on Mac as it's my primary workstation. Would you mind explaining what error I introduced by pasting the file name? It's not at all clear when I compare the two.

Using the full path worked for step 1.
-------------------------------
Reading Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…

Reading PVE (Apple_ISO : 1)…

Reading Apple (Apple_partition_map : 2)…

Reading PVE (Apple_ISO : 3)…

Reading Gap0 (ISO9660_data : 4)…

Reading HFSPLUS_Hybrid (Apple_HFS : 5)…

Reading Gap1 (ISO9660_data : 6)…

Elapsed Time: 2.218s

Speed: 554.4MB/s

Savings: 0.0%
----------------------------------------------------------------------

t's still thinking about the last step, but I did authorize it to access my flash drive so I assume it's doing it's thing,

Is this output the expected result from the last step?
-----------------------------------------
1229+1 records in

1229+1 records out

1289736192 bytes transferred in 177.903684 secs (7249632 bytes/sec)
-------------------------------------------

Is this output the expected result from the last step?
-----------------------------------------
1229+1 records in

1229+1 records out

1289736192 bytes transferred in 177.903684 secs (7249632 bytes/sec)
-------------------------------------------
Looks normal in case that fits the size of the dmg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!