Is it possible to add a private custom OS?

edwards_

Mar 14, 2024
Is there an accepted method for defining a custom OS type or triggering some of the setup work handled by the PVE LXC Setup files? We have a custom private in-house Linux distribution built from source. We are importing an LXD container produced by a periodic build.

I did attempt that, but the OS detection failed. The only OS type that works is unmanaged. So maybe the question becomes, how can we customize an unmanaged ostype container when created? I've seen a post that this might be possible from the CLI on the server, but we are also hoping to allow all our users to perform all actions from the web GUI. I am striving not to modify one of the Proxmox Perl modules to add our OS type, as that makes it more challenging to upgrade Proxmox later.

you either need to make your custom distro detectable as its closest "cousin" (the check is usually fairly simple, for example looking at os-release/lsb-release or similar metadata files, so should be easy enough to "fake"), or you can only use unmanaged which skips most of the in-container configuration by definition..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!