IOMMU with egpu question

Sep 10, 2023
Lets say you have a intel laptop with integrated intel graphics card with proxmox 8 installed on it. Since the laptop has thunderbolt 3 with 4 lanes you attach an egpu with an AMD graphics card.
If you wish to only passthrough the amd device to a vm but wish to still have intgrated graphics for the laptop display because your using the hdmi and audio out on the egpu, would you use "intel_iommu=on iommu=pt" or "amd_iommu=on iommu=pt"

Those settings depend on the type of CPU you have, not the type of GPU you are running. Usually those kernel parameters do not need to be set anymore, since they get automatically enabled at compile-time. You might need to activate IOMMU in your EFI/BIOS though. In our wiki you can find instructions on how to check whether IOMMU has been enabled [1]

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI_Passthrough

Those settings depend on the type of CPU you have, not the type of GPU you are running. Usually those kernel parameters do not need to be set anymore, since they get automatically enabled at compile-time. You might need to activate IOMMU in your EFI/BIOS though. In our wiki you can find instructions on how to check whether IOMMU has been enabled [1]

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI_Passthrough
I have ventured through this without caution and yes you are correct. I got it working very well. Since it was an AMD egpu it needed powering down to reset thunderbolt. Very annoying. vendor_reset module was a blessing. If you don't mind me asking a different question. Is passing the gpu to an lxc configuration different when iommu enabled on the AMD Video card? (amdgpu driver is blacklisted to host) Trying to get jellyfin working but It only passes the intel gpu.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!