IOMMU fails with ZFS

matthewpipes

Oct 20, 2021
As the title suggests, I can’t enable iommu when I install proxmox with zfs raid 0 but it works just fine when I select ext4 filesystem.

The goal is gpu pass through to a win11 vm. I’m using a dl380 g9, 2 e5-2690-v4 CPU’s, Rx6800xt and 2 nvmes in pcie adapters. It all works fine and I get an output from my video card when I select ext4 on one of my nvmes at the proxmox installation, but when I choose zfs raid 0 with both nvmes I can’t get iommu working

I’ve followed this tutorial but no results.

Additionally I can’t get sound out of my gpu in windows, but I can in Ubuntu

Any help?

Last edited:
As the title suggests, I can’t enable iommu when I install proxmox with zfs raid 0 but it works just fine when I select ext4 filesystem.
Proxmox has two bootloaders (see the manual) with different configuration files where you need to add intel_iommu=on. Currently, UEFI boot with root filesystem on ZFS uses systemd-boot and all other combinations use GRUB. The PCI(e) passthrough section of the manual explains how to do that for each of the bootloaders. This trips up people often and there are many threads about this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!