Intermittent hosts hanging PVE 7.4 Kernel 5.15.83-1

Mar 16, 2023
Hello

Since we upgraded our hosts to 7.4 with Kernel 5.15.83-1 they intermittently hang. Out of a cluster of 20 hosts, it has happened 3 times over a space of 3 weeks. Can't find any log entries and the server needs a reboot via the iDRAC to get it up again.

Due to the severity of the hang and no logs I suspect a Kernel issue and so am planning to upgrade to 5.15.108-1,. however before I do that it would be good to know if anyone else has experience similar or if there are known issues in 5.15.83-1? I saw where someone was having an issue with upgrading where the host was hanging trying to load 5.15.83-1 but that is a bit different - our hosts run fine most of the time

Hello,

Do you still know which kernel version run before the recent upgrade to 5.15.83-1?

Also, what could help to diagnose this is connecting to a server via ssh from an unrelated host and run journalctl -f, as sometimes the network stack lives long enough to get some logs out that couldn't be synced down to disk anymore.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!