Intel Mac Pro hardware

Macrules34

Feb 6, 2024
Has anyone installed proxmox on a Mac Pro (Model A1481, aka the trash can)?

The model that I have, has an Intel Xeon E5-1600-V2 4-Core, 32GB of Ram and a 1TB ssd drive.

I have not tried to install the os yet, still waiting for the hardware to arrive (have ordered the above specs). Just curious if anyone had successfully installed the os on that platform.

Did you get anywhere with this? I have a 2013 trashcan pro and can attempt install onto a USB3 disk, but be aware if you use the internal SSD it will wipe all existing partitions in favor of proxmox...

No I have not had any luck. I think that I will be sticking with MacOS x and installing a virtualization software on it.

Look into ReFind. You have to turn SIP off - ' csrutil disable ' in recovery environment to install it, but it makes booting much easier. I will attempt installing PVE 8.1.2 on my trashcan pro tonight and post back

Reactions: tarix76
Look into ReFind. You have to turn SIP off - ' csrutil disable ' in recovery environment to install it, but it makes booting much easier. I will attempt installing PVE 8.1.2 on my trashcan pro tonight and post back
I was able to boot PMVE 8.1.2 USB install media with ReFind and installed OK to usb3 m.2 external disk enclosure on the 2013 Mac Pro trashcan. You have to boot one of the penguins that has a little usb-stick symbol in the lower right.

For a 500GB boot disk, I told the installer to only use 200GB, gave 50GB to ext4 root and left ~240GB unused to format as XFS later. Handy for local backups, ISOs, etc - and it did not touch/wipe my OSX install on the internal SSD, which also has an existing ZFS partition. (But I did a full bare-metal backup beforehand with carbon copy cloner to separate iSCSI JustInCase)

Boot media was "burned" with balena etcher on another Mac and is a 16GB SDcard in a usb3 multi-slot reader.

Note that if you are still wanting to dual-boot OSX, you will need to modify ' efibootmgr ' order, as it will default to bypassing refind/OSX and boot straight to grub + proxmox otherwise.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!