[SOLVED] Installing VeraCrypt to use in PVE Host

gfngfn256

Mar 29, 2023
I would like to be able to use an external USB HDD (previously encrypted with VeraCrypt) to use from the PVE Host cli to be able to copy files from my PVE host.
How would you go about a simple (& safe) VeraCrypt install, to enable this.

Is there a reason you can't just download the Debian 12 deb file and install it?
Has anyone done this? I really don't like messing with my PVE host.
Anyone out there using VeraCrypt successfully on PVE, with attached drives (not host-system).

I have the first half of the situation you describe in play: External HDD's passed through to a both a Windows and Debian VM that can mount and access the encrypted disks.

I have them shared via SMB (from the Windows VM) after they mount so I can access them from my Desktop, not the CLI as you're asking, but that should be pretty easy if you mount the share on your host.

Finally installed VeraCrypt, works perfectly.
I'll include my code used, as there was a small problem with dependencies, but the following worked.

Code:
wget https://launchpad.net/veracrypt/trunk/1.26.7/+download/veracrypt-console-1.26.7-Debian-12-amd64.deb

dpkg -i ./veracrypt-console-1.26.7-Debian-12-amd64.deb

apt --fix-broken install

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!