Installing Proxmox 8.1. crashing when loading nvidiafb driver

henriii

May 18, 2022
Hi,

I built a brand new server with the below components:
  • MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
  • RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 96Go (2x48Go) 5600MHz (CMH96GX5M2B5600C40)
  • NVME: 2x Samsung 990 Pro 4 To, NVMe M.2, PCIe 4.0;4, MZ-V9P4T0CW
  • GPU: MSI GT 710 2GD3H LP Nvidia GT710 954 MHz 2048 Mo PCI Express

When I'm trying to install Proxmox 8.1. using a bootable USB, it crashes when I launch the installation using GUI...

How should I proceed?

Thanks for you help!

(I'm a beginner in Proxmox)

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 9
Looks like a problem with the NVIDIA card/driver. You could try „nomodeset“ in the boot options or the console/text installer mode.

Maybe that's why nvidiafb is blacklisted by Proxmox in /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf:
Code:
# This file contains a list of modules which are not supported by Proxmox VE

# nvidiafb see bugreport https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=701
blacklist nvidiafb
How did you install Proxmox and why are you trying to load nvifiafb?

Maybe that's why nvidiafb is blacklisted by Proxmox in /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf:
Code:
# This file contains a list of modules which are not supported by Proxmox VE

# nvidiafb see bugreport https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=701
blacklist nvidiafb
How did you install Proxmox and why are you trying to load nvifiafb?
Sorry I didnt know …
I downloaded the latest version on the official website, flashed the usb then boot on it . Then it crashes during the load of installation… how can I avoid loading this ? This is done automatically I didn’t do anything…

Sorry I didnt know …
I downloaded the latest version on the official website, flashed the usb then boot on it . Then it crashes during the load of installation… how can I avoid loading this ? This is done automatically I didn’t do anything…
Can you boot the system with the integrated graphics (and maybe remove the NVidia GPU temporarily)? Or edit the kernel command line before starting the installer to blacklist nvidiafb explicitly, but I don't know the details on how to do that exactly.

Can you boot the system with the integrated graphics (and maybe remove the NVidia GPU temporarily)? Or edit the kernel command line before starting the installer to blacklist nvidiafb explicitly, but I don't know the details on how to do that exactly.
You mean I can remove the GPU, install, then I can replug it and install the nvidia driver manually ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!