installation stuck in GRUB

jona

Mar 2, 2024
Hi all.
I'm new to Proxmox and I wanted to install it on my old DELL T610 server before installing it on one of my production environment servers (DELL T140).
I followed the instructions on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Prepare_Installation_Media to setup the USB, but as I booted from it, it got stuck with a GRUB prompt. I couldn't anything but reboot. So I've set it up again and again but the result was the same.
The file I used, is proxmox-ve_8.1-2.iso
I'm pretty sure it's a layer 8 problem, but I couldn't figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong here.
I hope some of you guys could help me out.
Thanks

Attachments

• photo_2024-03-02 14.25.36.jpeg
    photo_2024-03-02 14.25.36.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 9
A slow USB and USB port can cause this delay. One time I have seen this happening, installation continued after 35 minutes. The USB drive had an activity LED on it. It was continuously flickering indicating some activity. If the USB drive is faulty, that will cause extended delay as well. The reason I let it go and waited for so long, there were no other option in this particular situation.

Usually, installation of Proxmox via USB flash drive causes no issue. I use Rufus to prepare USB with ISO. Never had any issue.

Reactions: jona

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!