[SOLVED] Installation Failed on AMD

robotdna

Mar 24, 2024
Hello,

I am trying to install Proxmox VE 8.1 on an HP Elitedesk 705 G4 mini, which has an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G. I have updated my BIOS to latest and enabled virtualization. When I select the graphical installer, it fails with:

Code:
amdgpu: Unable to locate a BIOS ROM

I searched and found a few threads here describing this issue:

BIOS Missing
Fatal Error at GPU Boot
amdgpu fatal error
AMD Driver Doesn't Work

So, I instead tried to use the "Console Install" instead of the "Graphical Install" and it worked! I then spun up a Kubuntu VM and was able to get a desktop environment showing in the Proxmox web UI.

My question is: are there any lurking monsters based on this? Is there a downside to me having installed Proxmox this way? Am I going to run into unexpected issues down the line? Currently, things are working, but as I'm unfamiliar with Proxmox I'm not sure what may work or not work in the future based on the error I saw.

Hi,
no, the console install performs the same setup as the graphical install behind the scenes. They are just two different interfaces to let the user configure the installer.

Reactions: robotdna and cheiss

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!