Install PVE on an existing PBS server?

Richw

Jun 6, 2023
I've seen postings on how to go the other way where you have PVE and want to install PBS on the same machine but is it possible to go the other way? Start with a PBS machine and install PVE on it?

The reason for this is we have a PBS machine that is running on a physical box and that is the only thing it's doing and we thought this would make an ideal tie breaker for our 2 node cluster to give us the third node.

I did some research and it looks like I can follow the instructions for installing it on Debian maybe following these instructions.

Thanks,
Rich

I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't work. But i didn't tested it myself yet. If you want to test it first you could install a new PBS in a VM and then install the proxmox-ve package and see if it works as expected.

Reactions: _gabriel
yes, that should not be an issue (provided your PBS host meets the requirements for joining a cluster).

It is possible, but if you only need a tie breaker, I would advice to use a QDevice instead as it was already pointed out.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!