I'm using ZFS so far without any issues but what about Kubernetes

kristian.kirilov

Nov 17, 2016
I'm doing ZFS replication between the nodes. All good, this is not HA but fail over.
Few weeks ago I have deployed a Kubernetes cluster. As you may know ZFS is a local filesystem, my VMs using it and perfom very well, but how to deal with Kubernetes?

I mean there is no sense of clustered filesystem because I already have replication on my pool and scheduled volume replication between the nodes.
So what filesystem to use for my Kubernetes? I thing something like OpenEBS but not sure these type of cloud native filesystems are designed to work localy.

Any advices are welcomed.

Hello,

I have had moved my kubernetes into a VM when I switched to Proxmox on my homeserver last year. With this I have ext4 as root in a container on ZFS which allows me to run kubernetes (I use k3s which fails on ZFS).

Today I figured out a way to run K3S in a container. I still use ZFS but I create a zvol, put LVM on top and create a volume group that can be used by proxmox. This way I get an ext4 filesystem in my container which runs on top of ZFS.

I have documented the whole setup in my blog (in german but google translate can help you): https://blog.wyraz.de/linux/kubernetes-k3s-in-proxmox-lxc-auf-zfs-installieren/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!