iKOOLCORE R2 and its Realtek RTL8156BG-based 2.5G NIC

ZHS

Jul 29, 2022
Hi everyone,

I have a iKOOLCORE R2 that I want to use as a homeserver that hosts various network and other applications.

Since it has 4 NICs (3 x Intel i226-v 2.5G network cards (via PCIe) and 1 x Realtek RTL8156BG-based 2.5G network card (via USB 3.0)). I wanted to use 2 of the Intel NICs for OPNsense. 3rd Intel NIC was supposed to be for various other applications (Pi-hole, Tailscale, etc.) and I wanted to use the 4th NIC (the Realtek one) as Proxmox managment port.

However, Realtek NIC behaves in such a way that it periodically crashes and the Promox WebUI is unavailable until I reboot the whole system.

I installed both Proxmox 8.1.4 and 8.2.2 and the behaviour on both systems is the same - it works for a couple of hours and then becomes unreachable.

I tried various tips I could find for how to get this Realtek NIC to work, but I always get some sort of error when I install the package I found in the tips.

Has anybody been able to get this NIC to work reliably on Proxmox 8.x?

Don't overthink it. You don't need a dedicated management port on a home server. I run most of my services on a box with a single 1Gb NIC, and I've got almost 50 unique devices on my home network.

Thank you for your message, but I would really like to use this NIC at least in some other capacity. Is there any way to get it to behave without it dropping randomly?

Have you tried passthrough to a vm and let the vm handle the drivers? New to proxmox but just a thought

I have not, I have been searching for a way to get it to work in the original way. However, I intend to try it with a VM (my guess is that LXC would not solve this problem).

There is no problem there, all is normal. The usb nic are just a fun tool for laptop and so. the disconnect and system freeze is normal with that. If you do build a server, go with intel nic card and all will be problem free.
and just put a prox ip over one the the other port and you can acess prox via multiple ip.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!