iGPU passthrough fully works in Ubuntu, works but no actual HDMI output in Windows

stooovie

May 16, 2023
Proxmox 7.4-3, i5 7200U with Intel HD Graphics 620 (no other GPU). I am able to fully use the iGPU in ubuntu 20.04 - both HW acceleration and HDMI output work as expected.

In Windows 10 (fully updated), I can get HW acceleration, the Intel driver is recognized and loaded, BUT I'm getting no actual display over HDMI. No combination of All functions, Primary GPU and PCI-Express doesn't seem to fix this.

Any tips or pointers? Thanks!

Here's the Windows VM cfg:
agent: 1
args: -cpu 'host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off'
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=sata0;ide2;net0
cores: 2
cpu: host,hidden=1
cpuunits: 100
efidisk0: storage:vm-102-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
hostpci0: 0000:00:02,pcie=1,x-vga=1
ide2: none,media=cdrom
machine: pc-q35-7.2
memory: 4096
meta: creation-qemu=7.2.0,ctime=1684587351
name: win10
net0: e1000=96:B3:46:FA:0C:EA,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
sata0: storage:vm-102-disk-2,backup=0,discard=on,replicate=0,size=128G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=98aed783-45fe-4ff4-a508-e417b4d3108c
sockets: 1
spice_enhancements: foldersharing=1
tablet: 0
tags: windows
usb0: host=046a:0001
vmgenid: 33ad5816-0574-4e7e-82f1-16aa982055ef
vmstatestorage: storage

Last edited:
Reactions: HansBaer
I'm in the same situation. Proxmox 7.4-3, kernel 6.2.6-1-pve, i5 6500 with Intel HD Graphics 530 (no other GPU).
HDMI output works fine on Ubuntu 22.04.
In Windows 10 (22h2) , the Intel driver is recognized and loaded, BUT I'm getting no actual display over HDMI.
Wait for someone to fix it.

Any update to passthrough Intel iGPU to Windows 10/11 with HDMI out working?

I was able to get HDMI out and acceleration fully working with this in my VM conf:

args: -device vfio-pci,host=00:02.0,romfile=/etc/pve/qemu-server/i915ovmf.rom,x-igd-opregion=on

But that stopped working after upgrading to Proxmox 8. It crashes the entire host immediately every time.

How did you get hdmi output in Ubuntu? Here, after the Ubuntu vm goes up, I have no image, just “no signal” on the monitor

I was able to get HDMI out and acceleration fully working with this in my VM conf:

args: -device vfio-pci,host=00:02.0,romfile=/etc/pve/qemu-server/i915ovmf.rom,x-igd-opregion=on

But that stopped working after upgrading to Proxmox 8. It crashes the entire host immediately every time.
Did you able to passthrough Intel iGPU to Windows 10/11 with display over HDMI?

Do you know if there's a relevant bug report for that?

Do you know if there's a relevant bug report for that?
Same here happening to me.

Wrote my feedback in this thread:
intel-uh630-igp-passthrough-and-hdmi-output-to-host-screen

with Proxmox 8 is impossibile to have hdmi out from igpu passtrough, even if the passthrough works correctly!

Any news on this? I can't even get the HD 620 GPU to work on Windows, it just throws code 43. Linux works fine, I tried it in a Fedora VM on which it gave output on HDMI (but no hardware acceleration, but I probably didn't have the drivers for that installed).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!