I/O Error

Aerialflame7125

May 9, 2023
wsp, Ever since my internal hard drive has for some reason completely died, I have been running proxmox from a usb external ssd, Been working for a couple of hours until I got a I/O error from dev sda, after the flood of errors not allowing me to use my proxmox server, I reboot, sends me to rescue mode, saying it could not find a file, i reboot again, sent to the swarm of I/O errors, and now dependencys are failing, Whole required services are failing to start. And I am getting the same errors, except now there are EXT4-fs errors, along with the first I/O errors. Please help.

Hello, could you please post some logs, it would also be helpful to know the SSD model. Did you try with another usb cable? Some cables are not very good handling IO and power delivery simultaneously.

In general I would advice to connect the SSD using SATA, usb cables have the bad habit of disconnecting with little movements and that might lead to a non functional disk or data loss.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!