HP Proliant DL380 G6

jcpamart

Jan 13, 2024
Hi,

Could you help me and tell me what is the last version of Proxmox can be used on a HP Proliant DL380G6 please ?
It have 54 Gb of RAM.

Thanks for your help

Best regards
JC

there's a good chance of that. but if you're asking this question, there's also a good chance that you, on the other hand, won't be able to use proxmox.

Not a good choice - HP disk controllers generally don't work well with ZFS and Proxmox.

Reactions: lildadou
I have two G7s, a 360 and a 380 and just added a PCIe card IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT. If you have an available slot, these go for cheap second hand.

I have two G7s, a 360 and a 380 and just added a PCIe card IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT. If you have an available slot, these go for cheap second hand.
did you connect the card to the sas backplane - I assume you needed to source cables for this as well?

same problem
I have three HP Proliant G6, one running VMWare 6.5 without any problem, the second runs Debian 12 (ext4) without any problems
the third a test server doesn't even start to install proxmox, the first sceen comes up, I select text install screen gos black some test lines comes up, too quick to be able to read and then blackscreen for ever, dto. in debug mode.
On the other side Debian 12 comes up without any problem, and promox installed on Debian runs fine. As new to proxmox and haven't RTFM I installed Debian with ext4 instead of ZFS. So what I do not understand why does Debian install but proxmox based on Debian not, leaving the possible ZFS problem beside. proxmox is based an Debian12 and does not install, while Debin12 does. At this time no file system is involved nor installed. My proxmox is version 8.1

I'm testing proxmox as alternative to VMWare for me and customers, we want do go away from VMWare in case of the new VMWare policies, sind they under Broadcoms roof.

At least from that I read of proxmox it seams to be the best alternative to VMWare from the rare alternatives.

So what I do not understand why does Debian install but proxmox based on Debian not, leaving the possible ZFS problem beside.
Proxmox VE is using the MUCH newer Ubuntu LTS kernel and your G6 is 13+ years old. That's the part with the problem.

running VMWare 6.5 without any problem
The corresponding PVE version from that time will also work without a problem. Newer VMware than 6.5 will unfortunately also not work out-of-the-box.

VMWare 6.5 and VMWare 6.5 HPE are running out of the Box on these server. I have a customer who has more of the running VMWare 6.5 out of the box on the machine.

If Promox VE runs a "MUCH newer Ubuntu LTS Kernel" why do they say they are running on Debian12 and why do they describe running Proxmox VE on top of Debian 12 in their Wiki instead running on Ubuntu LTS Kernel?
That does not build trust in that system.
Till now and thats about 20 years I never had any problem with Debian on older Hardware, Linux is known to support older Harware a long time.

And why does the Proxmox VE kernel start fine when is installed via Debian. The installation of Proxmox VE on top of Debian replaces the Debian Kernel with the Proxmox VE kernel as written in the wiki and can be seen on the boot screen. And the machin boots the Proxmox Kernel. The problem so ist not Proxmox itself it is the installation routine which seams not to as good as the Debian installtion

VMWare 6.5 and VMWare 6.5 HPE are running out of the Box on these server. I have a customer who has more of the running VMWare 6.5 out of the box on the machine.
6.5 was released in 2016 and of course run them without any problem. The same with PVE from that decade.

If Promox VE runs a "MUCH newer Ubuntu LTS Kernel" why do they say they are running on Debian12 and why do they describe running Proxmox VE on top of Debian 12 in their Wiki instead running on Ubuntu LTS Kernel?
It's the userland, not the kernel. To what page are you refering to, this is the one WITH the statement? It clearly states that the Proxmox Kernel will be installed and the Debian one removed.

Till now and thats about 20 years I never had any problem with Debian on older Hardware, Linux is known to support older Harware a long time.
I feel you. Yes, with the Debian Kernel, not the Ubuntu one. They will not offer such things and should be blamed for that, not Proxmox. Before that, a RHEL-based kernel was used, yet then moved to another LTS kernel. Both was required to have a kernel that has a better chance to be vendor supported by their certification matrix and broader upstream support. Debian is sadly very limited with that regard.

We have had issues with newer versions. now used "proxmox-ve_7.1-1.iso", and it is installing without problems.
(We have NOT tried to upgrade until yet)

Indeed, to my surprise, few P410 controllers are authorized to switch to HBA.
what do you mean with "are authorized" ? hba mode sucks with these controllers. they are not made for this and even if this may work initially, they miserably fail on disk error conditions. getting controller freezes, stuck zpool.... whatever.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!