/dev/sda1 BIOS boot
/dev/sda2 EFI
/dev/sda3 LVM

A HDD disk for backup 2TB
/dev/sdb

A second SSD 500gb that I vould like to use for snapshots
/dev/sdc

sdb and sdc don't have partitions and don't are formatted now

If i require backup and have to select storage, i see only as local sda.

Howto permit to backup all on sdb?
Howto force to use sdc for snapshot?
Is it possible to do that from Web interface?

Last edited:
https://www.grectech.it/blog/come-aggiungere-un-nuovo-disco-fisso-a-proxmox/
Following this link I have created partition using
fdisk /dev/sdb
fdisk /dev/sdc

Than I have create via gui a group copia for /dev/sdc1
When I try to create via guy a group backup for /dev/sdb1, cannot see device into combobox to create group why?

now if I select machine name, under lvm I see
copia
/dev/sdc1
pwe
/dev/sda3

but if I go into cluster name storage copia is present.
After that I would like to backup into copia but is not present as local resource why?
Thanks a lot

Hi,
for backups, you need a directory type storage, i.e. file-based, which LVM is not, see also here.

You cannot force a specific storage to be used for disk snapshots, those will always be on the same storage as the disk. You can only select a dedicated storage for saving the RAM/state for each VM, the VM State storage setting in the VM's Options.

Hi,
for backups, you need a directory type storage, i.e. file-based, which LVM is not, see also here.
Hi Fiona,
Ok understood, but if I have a disk /dev/sdb1 (ext3 or other kind of partition).
Is it possible to set that have to be used as directory type storage?
Best regards,
Paolo

Hi Fiona,
Ok understood, but if I have a disk /dev/sdb1 (ext3 or other kind of partition).
Is it possible to set that have to be used as directory type storage?
Best regards,
Paolo
Yes, you need to make sure it's mounted somewhere (use /etc/fstab to make it persistent across reboots). Then you can go to Datacenter > Storage > Add > Directory and specify the path there.

If the disk is not used otherwise (no other partitions), you can also wipe it and create the directory storage directly from the UI selecting [your node] > Disks > Directory > Create:Directory.

Yes, you need to make sure it's mounted somewhere (use /etc/fstab to make it persistent across reboots). Then you can go to Datacenter > Storage > Add > Directory and specify the path there.

If the disk is not used otherwise (no other partitions), you can also wipe it and create the directory storage directly from the UI selecting [your node] > Disks > Directory > Create:Directory.
The second solution was perfect, all from UI.
Backup now is completed.

Now I will try to do something more but is an other question so I open a new tree,
Thank's a lot

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!