How to troubleshoot metrics server issues

Saahib

May 2, 2021
Hi,
I am trying to use proxmox metrics server, I have configured victoriametrics which support Prometheus, Graphite, Influxdb input formats. I tested my server by a telegraf with nfluxdb (v1) output plugin and I can receive data over https with basic authentication from test machine. However, I added relevant info in proxmox -> Datacenter --> Metrics Server for influxdb as per this guide where for influxdb api v1, we can use username:password as token. But its not working.

So how do I make work, right now I have working url for victoriametrics (influxdb compatible) at domain.com:9221 , have username and password.

Also where are the logs to see if there is issue with metrics server configuration so that can troubleshoot further.

I hope someone can point me to logs where I can see errors regarding metric config ?

Last edited:
did you already check the syslog/journal?

what exactly does not work?

are you sure
victoriametrics
does support the same authentication mechanism as influxdb?

No data was being sent to victoriametrics so I used vmagent local data collector which is then in turn now sending data to victoriametrics, it does have basic http authentication.

does support the same authentication mechanism as influxdb?
Yes, it supports via vmauth which I have configured.

can you post your config? (/etc/pve/status.cfg)
also you can check with e.g. tcpdump if the request go out

also i'd check the receiving sides log for info

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!