How to remove a PCI device and not break networking?

Guylon

Mar 24, 2024
Hello,

I want my server to be headless and I used a graphics card to install proxmox, when I take the card out of the server - I can no longer reach the server over the network. I am assuming that the PCI slots get re-ordered and ny network card no longer is named the same.

Is this a known issue or something that can be fixed?

Is this a known issue or something that can be fixed?
It is known to break networking. Lots of threads here about adjusting /etc/network/interfaces after adding or removing (or enabling or disabling) PCI(e) devices.
Either change the network device name beforehand (if you know how the naming works) or create udev rules to give it a fixed name, which might also be tricky if you get it wrong (as you need to adjust /etc/network/interfaces at the same time) and can't login to the Proxmox host console with a keyboard and display.

I did the below and things still break.. Will try and find more topics on this.

Code:
cat /etc/network/interfaces

#iface enp0s25 inet manual
#       mtu 9000

iface sus0 inet manual
       mtu 9000

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.200/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports sus0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094
#LAN

cat /etc/systemd/network/10-sus0.link
[Match]
MACAddress=D0:50:99:8E:AD:3C
[Link]
Name=sus0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!