how to modify /etc/corosync/corosync.conf ?

jmanson

Oct 21, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have had a problem with my proxmox cluster for a few days, it has become completely unstable.

My cluster consists of 3 servers:
- 2 are permanently online
- 1 is online occasionally

I think that my problem comes from the configuration that I made when installing the cluster, I assigned only 1 vote to the first server (I think that during installation I told myself that the second and third server would be turned off occasionally)
After research, I realized that I was completely wrong. from what I understand, for my current case, I should rather grant 2 votes to server 1, two votes to server 2 and 1 vote to servers 3...

My question is how to modify this parameter in the /etc/corosync/corosync.conf file? every time I modify it it does not take my modification into account

If you have a 3 node cluster and 2 are permanently online then you are still quorate even though you shutdown one server. With 3 Nodes you get 3 votes.... one one offline you still have 2 votes out of 3. Or am i missing something here? Can you share the output of
Code:
pvecm status
?

To answer your question though on how to change the votes, follow below:

WARNING: It is important to complete all the changes first before saving the config!

Code:
nano /etc/pve/corosync.conf
2. Increment the quorum_votes of your nodes (you can also decrement)
3. Increment the config_version. Everytime you edit the file you always increment by 1!
4. Save & Exit

Hello and thank you for this answer.

Before you answered me I managed to pass the votes as I wanted... and indeed I still had instability problems.
With one vote per node, the cluster became stable again.

Thank you so much !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!