How to add harddisk to multiple vm's!

pwxst

Renowned Member
Feb 29, 2012
Austria
Hi,

at the moment I evaluate PROXMOX VE 2.0 to migrate a live server which hosts multiple TOMCAT based webservice applications and one LAMP webproject. Both use the same database and the same file/directory system (RAID-1) as data storage.

I want to split up the live server into one PROXMOX VE with 4 guests based on a 300 GB hardware RAID-1 file system and a 500 GB hardware RAID-1 disk as a data storage.
1 UBUNTU 11.04 LTS based webservice application server VM-Client
1 UBUNTU 11.04 LTS based dynamic webproject server VM-Client
2 UBUNTU 11.04 LTS based MYSQL database server VM-Client

all those VM-Client's must have r/w access to the data storage (500 GB RAID-1 disk).

But I have now idea how I can fulfill these requirements, I don't know how I can add one hdd system to different VM-Client's.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you Peter

Here's one way of doing it ... Why don't you create a Network Attached Storage (NAS) virtual machine and make an NFS shared folder that all your VMs can read and write to? Look at OpenMediaVault, an open source NAS, if you want to do something like that.

Hi, I'm doing it with direct scsi lun access, and ocfs2 filesystem inside the vms.

I solved it successfully with Openfiler iSCSI and LUN's.

One drawback of my solutions is that I need one more VM for Openfiler, so could you please give me a more detailed setup description of your solutions.

Thank you, Peter

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!