How to access VM grub menu via VNC?

pmensik

Feb 9, 2024
Hey everyone,

I forgot my root password to one of the VMs I am running so I wanted to enter the GRUB menu to recover it. However, since I can only access the VM via noVNC web view (and ssh of course), I don't see the GRUB menu when booting to change its configuration. Is there any way to do it or do I have to recover the password via Live CD?

P.S. I tried to hold the Shift button, and press e or F10 but to no avail.

Thanks a lot for help

that depends entirely on how your VM was setup. but you do get control both at the bios/UEFI level, and if allowed, at the bootloader afterwards.

that depends entirely on how your VM was setup. but you do get control both at the bios/UEFI level, and if allowed, at the bootloader afterwards.
Well, I did a standard installation of Ubuntu 22.0.4 and I don't remember enabling BIOs/UEFI. So is there a way how to set this up from the Proxmox GUI?

when you start the VM and hit `ESC` right at the start, you should end up in the firmware menu. from there, you can select which disk to boot and other things. how your particular bootloader is set up (and whether it's possible to modify those settings during bootup, or just from the booted OS as root) is not up to PVE at all.

Reactions: pmensik
Yeah, but what I mean is that noVNC connects too late to the VM so when I can finally see the screen, the VM is already booting. So is there a different way how to connect to the VM from the Proxmox so I can see the boot menu on time and press Esc? Thank you

like I said, what is allowed or not at the bootloader stage is up to the bootloader, not the firmware. it depends how you (or your OS) set it up - you can have it very open, or locked down.

PROTIP - ' qm guest passwd vmid userid ' can RESET IN-VM PASSWORD if qemu-agent is running!

/ I learned something new today ;-) NOTE I have not tried this with root.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!